No announcement yet.

New member - Strawberry scented 2 stroke oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any tips on what I need to do to convert my Little Griff to R40 from synthetic.............what level of cleaning of the crank and bearings and with what?...as it would be easier if I ran them all 3 bikes off R40 20:1?
    Cheers Kim

Comment

petrol

Hi kim, a wash through with clean petrol is more than enough, bonus if you have a crankcase drain bung. dave

Comment

Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
        Any tips on what I need to do to convert my Little Griff to R40 from synthetic.............what level of cleaning of the crank and bearings and with what?...as it would be easier if I ran them all 3 bikes off R40 20:1?
        Cheers Kim
        Hi Kim,

As Dave suggests, just a flush through with petrol should be fine.
        Contrary to popular belief, castor oil does mix with mineral, its just that mixture doesn't work very well as a lubricant!

I have to say, some of the non-castor 2-stroke oils used at pre-65 meeting smell really horrible!

Cheers,
        Andrew

Comment

Thanks Dave and Andy - I have a crankcase drain - so should be straight forward.....will also use up some of my old R40 mix

Just picked up something in John's earlier thread - I think Graham Bells data is more recent - and he certainly talks about better results with R40 than synthetic - with the same warning about running too rich with synthetic .......That's why I will convert back to 20:1 R40.

Also - Rob - I assume your ring sticking was Dykes rings? - And that with one of Nametabs forged pistons with double regular ring I should be ok?
          Cheers Kim

Comment

Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
            Thanks Dave and Andy - I have a crankcase drain - so should be straight forward.....will also use up some of my old R40 mix

Just picked up something in John's earlier thread - I think Graham Bells data is more recent - and he certainly talks about better results with R40 than synthetic - with the same warning about running too rich with synthetic .......That's why I will convert back to 20:1 R40.

Also - Rob - I assume your ring sticking was Dykes rings? - And that with one of Nametabs forged pistons with double regular ring I should be ok?
            Cheers Kim
            Hi Kim,

I had a sticking rings (dykes) on the 360, too. I think it was mainly due to lack of maintenance from the previous owner! If the bikes are stripped and cleaned regularly I don't think it would be a problem. The races are so short in pre-65 that I doubt if you would have a problem for a whole season!

Cheers,
            Andrew

Comment

Working...
            X