No announcement yet.

Greeves Riders Association - 40th Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if there is any movement on organising an event. A friend of mine has a large field near Chelmsford, Essex (Greeves own county) which is used for car rallies several times a year and I am sure he would be willing to host the event there. For added interest there is a small transport museum on site and a cafe. There would probably be enough space for a small grass track circuit and possibly a few trials sections like we had a Battlesbridge. The site is within 20 miles of Thundersley so a ride out could be arranged to visit the old factory, the site owner owns buses so could probably put one on as with Battlesbridge for those without road going bikes.

Comment

Technically, the 40th anniversary of the founding of the GRA is next year, as, although a meeting to discuss the forming of the club was in December 1983, it didn't actually get going until 1984 apparently; so it will be celebrated next year.

It is 70 years since Greeves motorcycles were first produced though, which will be celebrated at the Founders Day, Stanford Hall, on July 23rd this year. I imagine announcements will be made in the next LL. There is no limit to the number of Greeves which can attend, we will be allocated a large area, it will be included in VMCC promotions of the event, and will include a parade ride around the ring; so, the more the merrier!

Comment

• Its actually more than 70 years since Bert Greeves formed Invacar Ltd to quote Carrick & Walker Greeves book "A location was found for the company at West Road, Westcliffe on Sea Essex and production began in 1946 when the sheer demand for its products meant Invacar needed larger premises. These were found in Church Road, Thundersley , Shortly after the move the company produced its first motorcycle" and "The fist hint that a Greeves machine existed was carried by The Motorcycle in their issue of 10th May 1951"
        • So that would make the company 77 years old, and motorcycle manufacture 72 years although the first production bikes were not launched until the 1953 Motorcycle Show at Earls Court in September.

Comment

As I said, it is to celebrate 70 years of Greeves motorcycle production; not Invacar, not prototypes; production motorcycles.

Comment

Working...
          X