Greeves Riders Association - 40th Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves Riders Association - 40th Anniversary

Looking to the future, are there any plans to mark this event?

A great idea, Phil. How about a 2 or 3 day rally, to include a trial, a scramble, and a road ride or 2, as well as a static display, in order to reflect the club's title; 'Riders'?

Even better would be a venue such as Cadwell Park, Mallory Park, or maybe Castle Coombe, somewhere like that, if it is possible to set up a trial and a scramble there. It could include parade laps for Silverstones & Oultons, as well as road rides, covering all Greeves activities. A pipe dream too far, perhaps?
    Last edited by IanCordes; 01/11/2022, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Maybe at Battlesbridge, the last one was there.

Comment

Just bouncing this.

Comment

Not much enthusiasm generated so far, Phil!

Comment

Those members who are or have in the past helped to organise events are now thin on the ground. Perhaps now is time for a few others to come forward to help to keep things afloat, a little effort by a few can achieve good results.

Comment

Point taken Les, and that thought was in my mind. There are moves afoot at present to help with this issue, I understand.

I guess, and I can't speak for Phil, but with such an important landmark in the club's history, at least some response from a representative of the Committee might have been forthcoming when the subject was first mooted, if only to comment as you have; or to say it will be looked at in due course etc.

It may well be on the agenda to discuss at the forthcoming Committee meeting, of course; hopefully so.

Comment

Perhaps this should be moved to 'GRA Members' Chat'?

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
                  Perhaps this should be moved to 'GRA Members' Chat'?
                  Not really Ian as even less people will read it. Maybe some 'newbies' not yet members will be keen to join and help out.

Comment

What anniversary is the last redo of the ffront page of the Website?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                      What anniversary is the last redo of the front page of the Website?
                      Too many Brian - it is extremely frustrating!

There was a committee meeting held yesterday, but the website officer did not attend.

We do have some fresh faces coming onto the committee imminently, which is great, but we still need to find a Leading Link editor most urgently!

I'm sure that if a few volunteers could be found to organise a 40th celebration, they would have the full support of the club.

Comment

Working on it...... Am I correct in saying it will also be the 70th Anniversary of Greeves first producing motorcycles?

Comment

It is becoming clear that a stand-alone event is not a practical proposition. The hire of a suitable venue would be too expensive, the organisation required just too much for the likely number of attendees.

All is not lost however! Ideas surfacing at present are a dedicated display at the Founders Meeting on 23rd July, an event we attend anyway. We could do with as many Greeves attending as possible, to bring attention to the club. It would be good to have as many machines which are still being used as possible, whether it be trials models, scramblers, road racers, trailbikes or roadsters, to emphasise the fact that they are still very much usable machines even today.

Another suggestion is a presence at the Festival of 1000 Bikes on the weekend of July 8th-9th, where all but scramblers can be used, with Silverstones, Oultons and roadsters able to ride in parade laps of Mallory Park, where they also have a trials section in use. If this were combined with a club stand displaying a good selection of models, telling the story of 70 years since production started, and 40 years of the GRA, we could make our presence felt! You could display those used scramblers, even if they can't be ridden at the event.

Any other suggestions? If so, air them here, tell Committee members, and let's make it happen!

Thanks to Phil Hyde for bringing it to light.

Ian C.

Comment

Ian

I have to say that the idea of space at the Founders Day event sounds good. Stanford hall is pretty central for most.

Phil

Comment

I agree, Phil. We could do both, of course, as they are existing events. I understand this will be on the agenda for discussion at the next Committee meeting; in January, I believe, so all good so far!

Ian C.

Comment

Working...
                              X