TES Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi John.

That is pretty comprehensive info! So they followed the 'old' style of numbering, despite having what we would now call a TE/S frame, with numbers commencing 24 TES ---.

I think I did say that 313 WPU was registered as a 350 on 24th April 1961, didn't I? How come a 350, though? Greeves at that point hadn't made a 350 based on the Villiers single engine, had they? Or was it a 252, just to get in a 350 competition class?

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
      Hi John.

That is pretty comprehensive info! So they followed the 'old' style of numbering, despite having what we would now call a TE/S frame, with numbers commencing 24 TES ---.

I think I did say that 313 WPU was registered as a 350 on 24th April 1961, didn't I? How come a 350, though? Greeves at that point hadn't made a 350 based on the Villiers single engine, had they? Or was it a 252, just to get in a 350 competition class?
      The 350cc engine relates to after it was fitted with the B40 engine, not when originally registered by Greeves. Sorry yes you did state 313 WPU but I did not notice it first time as you were later referring to 311 WPU, (have now amended wording). Not sure about the frame number BNO/326 though that does not seem to be a Greeves number. Maybe got re stamped at some point.
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 24/08/2015, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Right John, I've got it now! It takes a while to sink in these days...

Funny it was able to retain the original reg. when the frame number was changed. I din't think that could happen now.

Cheers. Ian

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
          Right John, I've got it now! It takes a while to sink in these days...

Funny it was able to retain the original reg. when the frame number was changed. I din't think that could happen now.

Cheers. Ian
          Yep not sure what happened there I seem to recall that the original beam may have broken & a replacement beam obtained, some licencing authorities (Kent for one) insisted that a new number was allocated so this may have been the case with 313 WPU. Next time I speak to Mike Jackson (not the MJ who worked & rode for Greeves) I will ask him.

Comment

Oh dear. So the original engine has gone, the original frame has gone, just the registration remains; it sounds a bit like grandfathers broom!

Comment

313 WPU frame number

I have had the bike checked out on Carweb a HPI check web site, both the frame & engine number are recorded by DVLA as BNO/326. This looks a typo & in fact should read B40/326 which would be a BSA B40 engine AND frame number, BSA used same number on both frame & engine.
              It had a 350 BSA B40 engine fitted by a previous owner circa 1968 so looks like somehow the BSA frame number has been transposed to the Greeves probably a mistake by a County Council clerk on old buff logbook prior to records going to DVLA who then issued a V5 showing wrong frame number. It will take a bit of persuasion to sort this out with DVLA. I am in contact with current owner & he is going to check the actual number which should be in the series 61/170? as 311 WPU (Bill Brookers bike) is 61/1707
              There was a previous thread concerning 313 WPU http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...hread.php?t=27 I have added this latest update to that thread also.
              Last edited by John Wakefield; 03/09/2015, 11:56 AM.

Comment

313 wpu

Frame number on this thread http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ghlight=313WPU

Comment

Working...
                X