Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TES Information

Hi All
    I have recently purchaced a TES frame number 24 TES 147 (fairly early I think) can anyone provide spec details, ie; hub types / exhaust system etc, mine has square exhaust system and paddle hubs, correct TES spec engine gearbox, I have been through it. I am looking to put it back to correct spec for frame number, engine cradle has not got lightening holes.
    Any help gratefully recieved.

Cheers

Stuart

Hi Stuart, i know it should have motoloy full width hubs for starters, mine is 62 and has the square type as you say, the hubs i would think have come from a hawkstone as a guess.

Rob will have all the info but it may take some time, as he is off eating snails for 3 weeks from monday

Comment

Stuart, your TES sounds about right. TES 147 would date from mid 1962 and therefore the engine cradle would not have lightening holes as this type of cradle was not drawn up until August '62. Pretty sure tin wheels are correct (paddles may not be right) but I'm not betting on this.

The most important thing is that yet another Greeves has gone to a good home. If you want it crash-tested for strength, just ask Dick. Did you see what he tried to do to that rather large beech tree at your Somerton trial??!!

Comment

The Mk1 TES would have had the low level chromed exhaust like this one (but in better condition) just sold on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Greeves-TE...p2047675.l2557 it would also have had alloy mudguards. I dont think it would have had paddle hubs as the extra heat dissipation would not have been required for trials. These were generally only fitted to scramblers, ISDT & roadsters. Here is a link to a pic of a 1962 Mk1 TES http://cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/g...4-TES-1962.jpg it should have a Villiers S25 carb though not an Amal Monobloc
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 24/07/2015, 11:25 PM.

Comment

My TES

Not that it is as it left the factory but it is TES115 so quite early. Two photos of it nearly finished and one of it 'as found'.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
            The Mk1 TES would have had the low level chromed exhaust like this one (but in better condition) just sold on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Greeves-TE...p2047675.l2557 it would also have had alloy mudguards. I dont think it would have had paddle hubs as the extra heat dissipation would not have been required for trials. These were generally only fitted to scramblers, ISDT & roadsters. Here is a link to a pic of a 1962 Mk1 TES http://cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/g...4-TES-1962.jpg it should have a Villiers S25 carb though not an Amal Monobloc
            Thank's John
            I bought the low exhaust on ebay, I am trying to sort correct parts, do you know when the alloy tank was fitted, early TES pictures show the TDS/MDS scrambles seat, would this be correct?

Stuart

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
              Not that it is as it left the factory but it is TES115 so quite early. Two photos of it nearly finished and one of it 'as found'.
              Thank's Andy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                Stuart, your TES sounds about right. TES 147 would date from mid 1962 and therefore the engine cradle would not have lightening holes as this type of cradle was not drawn up until August '62. Pretty sure tin wheels are correct (paddles may not be right) but I'm not betting on this.

The most important thing is that yet another Greeves has gone to a good home. If you want it crash-tested for strength, just ask Dick. Did you see what he tried to do to that rather large beech tree at your Somerton trial??!!
                Thank's Rob, I have just picked up the low level exhaust system for it, have tin hubs in stock, would it have had an alloy tank this early?

Stuart

Comment

Originally posted by Dick F View Post
                  Hi Stuart, i know it should have motoloy full width hubs for starters, mine is 62 and has the square type as you say, the hubs i would think have come from a hawkstone as a guess.

Rob will have all the info but it may take some time, as he is off eating snails for 3 weeks from monday
                  Hi Dick
                  Did I see Rob at Calais on Wednesday trying to get back in to the country!!!! he looked a bit lost wondering around in the scrubland being watched from a distance by the French police!!!!.

Rob says the early TES had tin hubs and the low slung exhaust, just got one on ebay.
                  Thank's for your help, see you next June hopefully

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Wigmore View Post
                    Thank's John
                    I bought the low exhaust on ebay, I am trying to sort correct parts, do you know when the alloy tank was fitted, early TES pictures show the TDS/MDS scrambles seat, would this be correct?

Stuart
                    Sorry cant help with tank & seat but from a pic of ex works TES 313 WPU at the 1961 Scottish it appears to have steel tank but scrambles seat. The front mudguard had been changed to a deep valance fibreglass one, but the standard would have been an alloy one.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Sorry Stuart, No it was not him as he sails tomorrow afternoon out of Newhaven, i have no idea if the trip will be made into another film of Mr Bean in France again.

I have been informed by Mr Bean that my machine was manufactured after August, hence the Motoloy hubs sorry for misleading you.

We are coming down for the Greeves/Cotton Challenge on Sept 12th/13th hope we can have a good lot of Greeves there.

cheers Dicky

Comment

Tes

Just a little aside about the tank/seat on 313WPU. I had 311WPU with the same set up and was informed by the factory these three (4?) bikes were used in the Welsh two days where a bit more comfort was required hence the seat

Comment

I have just stumbled across this thread. The 24TES Mk 1 was really no more than a 24TE with a square barrel, and ali tank. In fact when the prototype was rolled out to the press in August 1961, it wore a steel tank, and was fitted with an 1 1/16" Monobloc. Both of these were ditched for the production models. Standard tin hubs, undrilled cradle, Hawkstone style seat, ali mudguards, etc.

What intrigues me is 313 WPU. The picture and caption come from the Carrick/Walker book, stating it was taken at the 1961 SSDT. That event ran from 1-6th May 1961, 3 months before the model was officially announced, and 7 months before the first production bikes were dispatched. If that was the case, Bert was not too concerned about letting the cat out of the bag; but what about the 'TES Mk2' fibreglass front mudguard? That model didn't appear for another 18 months.....

313 WPU popped up again, this time at the 1961 Welsh ISDT, as Ajayboy stated, this time with full lighting and road equipment, an ISDT steel tank, paddle hubs, drilled cradle, fibreglass mudguards front and rear, scrambles bars, and what appears to be a Monobloc with a Garda(?) filter. A test mule indeed, by the look of it, and almost a Mk2, before the Mk1 came out!

Intriguingly, it was registered on 24th April 1961 as a Greeves 350cc....

I would love to know it's frame number.... anybody?
                          Last edited by IanCordes; 24/08/2015, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajayboy View Post
                            Just a little aside about the tank/seat on 313WPU. I had 311WPU with the same set up and was informed by the factory these three (4?) bikes were used in the Welsh two days where a bit more comfort was required hence the seat
                            Do you know the frame number of 311WPU? How long ago did you own it, and what happened to it?

Comment

Frame No of 311 WPU is 61/1707 owned by a GRA member since 1993 was Bill Brookers works bike. Not currently taxed.

Registration number: 311 WPU
                              Tax Not taxed for on road use
                              MOT No details held by DVLA
                              Vehicle details
                              Vehicle make GREEVES
                              Date of first registration 25 April 1961
                              Cylinder capacity (cc) 249cc
                              CO₂Emissions Not available
                              Fuel type PETROL
                              Vehicle status Tax not due
                              Vehicle colour BLUE
                              Vehicle type approval Not available
                              Wheelplan 2 WHEEL
                              Revenue weight Not available

I posted an earlier thread which included a list if other ISDT bikes including the other WPU's http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=4478

I dont have frame number for 310 & 312WPU & current frame number for 313WPU is BNO/326 this one was converted to a scrambler circa 1966 with BSA B40 350cc engine by Mike Jackson of Puckeridge & is now with an owner in Hertford still with the B40 engine.
                              Last edited by John Wakefield; 24/08/2015, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X