Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some GRA Forum stats, opinions, and a handy feature....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some GRA Forum stats, opinions, and a handy feature....

I just discovered a handy forum feature that I thought I'd share, and more by accident than design.....

If while logged on to any page of the forum, you click on the 'GRA Logo' at the very top left hand side of the page, it will take you straight over to the main GRA Website (http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/). This is handy if you need to look up a frame number in the 'Identify' table to help a member (for example), and saves you having to open the main website up in another 'window' and flick back and forth. To get back to the forum, simply click your 'back' button (top left on your computer screen 'toolbar') until you get back to where the page you were originally viewing. Neat!

Of course, some of you may well have already discovered this, but I've been doing it the 'hard' way since we went live....only four years and two and a bit months now....!

Thinking of that, I went back to have a look at the very first thread ever posted on here, and it made me smile to think how far the forum has come since those early 'baby steps', with Colin and I trying to figure out how it all worked and Ian (Rob's son, and website guru!) kindly (and patiently) taking us under his wing and guiding us gently towards enlightenment! Here's the thread, just for a bit of nostalgia...! http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...hread.php?t=16

I then decided to get the old calculator out and do some adding up (between crayoning....!) Incredibly, since that evening of 18/12/2009 when the forum went live, as of this morning there have been 3,076 threads posted, and an amazing 23,831 posts made, and climbing! Not all of them have been about emu's or eBay either!!

Not too shabby for a small classic British motorcycle club then! As the GRA Forum is now into it's fifth year of operation, I would like to offer my thanks and appreciation to all of the contributors who have made it what it is, for joining in, for offering and sharing their views and opinions (good, bad and ugly!), helping members with advice, and just being a part of it really. We are a wide spread and disperate bunch in every way imaginable, often with very different views, opinions and backgrounds, but ALL with a common interest in a small but valiant manufacturer of British motorcycles from a bygone age, and this is our meeting place to indulge in all things Greeves, our passion, and it is because of your efforts and enthusiasm that the forum has thrived.

I know it probably get's some people's back up when I witter on about 'the viewers', but the simple fact is that many people log on here each day in the hope of seeing something 'new' and the interest is certainly there...but without 'the contributors', there would be nothing....That is all I'm saying.

So, let's all keep up the good work, with all the helpful, informative, enjoyable, insightful, supportive, positive and above all FUN posts that the forum has received over the years. Speaking for myself, I think it's ok to 'agree to disagree' if things get a little 'heated' now and again (not that it happens very often...!), and I'm convinced that the majority of people who use this forum are of similar mind, in that everyone's opinion has value, whatever that may be. I think this is borne out in the lack of problems this forum has had, when compared to many out there, and the fact that for the vast majority of the time we are all pretty much singing from the same hymn sheet.....("Blue is the colour, Moorland is the name....."!)

Anyway, these are just some thoughts to offer everyone. Feel free to comment, agree, disagree, etc etc. That's an important part of what the forum is for, after all, and your thoughts, opinions and posts are important, valuable and yes, 'necessary'.

Finally, a HUGE and heartfelt thank you to Rob and Ian for giving us all this fantastic resource in the first place.

Sincerely,

Brian.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 12/03/2015, 11:12 AM. Reason: Spelling, edit and tidy-up....

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
    Thinking of that, I went back to have a look at the very first thread ever posted on here, and it made me smile to think how far the forum has come since those early 'baby steps', with Colin and I trying to figure out how it all worked and Ian (Rob's son, and website guru!) kindly (and patiently) taking us under his wing and guiding us gently towards enlightenment! Here's the thread, just for a bit of nostalgia...! http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...hread.php?t=16

Not too shabby for a small classic British motorcycle club then! As the GRA Forum is now into it's fifth year of operation, I would like to offer my thanks and appreciation to all of the contributors who have made it what it is, for joining in, for offering and sharing their views and opinions (good, bad and ugly!), helping members with advice, and just being a part of it really. We are a wide spread and disperate bunch in every way imaginable, often with very different views, opinions and backgrounds, but ALL with a common interest in a small but valiant manufacturer of British motorcycles from a bygone age, and this is our meeting place to indulge in all things Greeves, our passion, and it is because of your efforts and enthusiasm that the forum has thrived.
    Is it really as long as that (18.12.09)?! Been an interesting ride, and has kinda brought the marque to life, don't you think?

Although not everybody will agree, I'm real glad we did it.

I endorse your thanks to Ian, Rob, not forgetting Mike and you yourself Brian and all our contributors over the years.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi Brian,

Have'nt you got anything better to do????.
      Also, as a return to forum action ,you can just click on the Greeves Riders Associations Forums wording at the top of the page and this takes you straight back to "logged in" listings,(I'm having the same trouble as you this morning, can't spell!!!!), saves me time when I'm trawling the site.

Keep up the good work though, your keeping us on our toes.

Regards,
      Mike.

Comment

Yep, it's been 'a slice', as the kids would say.....

I agree Colin, in that I'm really glad we did it, and my, it feels like a marriage and a divorce doesn't it....! Yes indeed, it seems like a lot longer than just four and a bit years......sigh.

And my sincere apologies...how could I possibly have forgotton Mike Eady.

Thank you Mike, for all your sage input and wisdom over the years, always a fair and balanced sounding board, especially to me.

I think all the positive opinions expressed about the forum far outweigh any negatives, and in my opinion, judging from the feedback I've recieved over the years, both publically and privately, it has enriched the experience of so many many GRA members so much, the only shame is that we didn't do it sooner. It has given us all a valuable meeting place, and far more besides. It has fostered many friendships and helped Greeves enthusiasts get so much more out of their hobby, and for that alone, I think it has been MORE than worth all the time and effort. Isn't that what the club is for, anyway...?

Brian.

Comment

You've got to have a hobby.....!

Originally posted by MikeV View Post
          Have'nt you got anything better to do????
          I have a bit of time on my hands at the moment, and as I'm glued to a computer all day anyway trawling through endless jobsites, (and waiting for application replies...) the forum is a welcome respite to be honest.

Speaking as an 'educationaly subnormal' ex college lecturer, spelling is really the least of my 'issues' Mike....

Besides, it would be rude not to share my favourite 'Mavis pics' and 'BW t shirt doodles' with everyone....(and knocking silly stuff up like that doesn't take me as long as you might think...if I can put it like that!!! )

Thanks for the supportive words.

Brian.
          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 12/03/2015, 11:40 AM. Reason: Yep....spelling.....!

Comment

Brian,

I totally agree with the last sentance in your last post but one.
            I think I might have used that comment myself!!!

Mike.
            Last edited by MikeV; 12/03/2015, 11:41 AM. Reason: You beat me to a reply

Comment

What he said....

Indeed Mike....'It's what the club is for!'

Isn't it....?

Brian. (fast typist, guitar fingers!)

Comment

Fast fingers

Lost my fast fingers years ago when I stopped playing the guitar. Now they have so much damage to the nuckles, after 40Yr's in the motor trade, that they tend not to move that quickly.

Mike.
                Last edited by MikeV; 12/03/2015, 11:54 AM. Reason: Told you I could not spell!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

There's always two sides on every coin....

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                  Been an interesting ride, and has kinda brought the marque to life, don't you think?

Although not everybody will agree, I'm real glad we did it.
                  Coiln,

Regarding your first comment above, it sure has (in both ways), and I think it has 'opened up' the GRA to a much wider audience than it had before, as demonstrated in the many new memberships that have resulted. The 'shows' do a great job with the 'boots on the ground' approach in regard to promoting interest in Greeves, but this medium is worldwide (and 24/7) Another thing it offers, and something I have always felt very strongly about, is an important way for members to participate in club activites that they may not otherwise have, especially due to geographical considerations (and other reasons.) In my own humble opinon, the GRA should be about being 'INCLUSIVE' (i.e to 'include'), not about being 'EXCLUSIVE' (sounds all glamorous doesn't it, like a posh holiday resort, with no 'riff raff' allowed...), which at it's core means to 'exclude'....

For those reasons, I for one would be very interested in debating 'point two' in your comments above with any members that would care to. I reckon it might be better in the GRA 'Members Only' area though, at the risk of being 'exclusive'.... In fact, we have the 'Website Feedback' area for that very reason, if anyone would like to start a thread and get the ball rolling; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...splay.php?f=14 I'm sure those members must have some good reasons if they feel that the forum is a possibly 'negative' thing for the GRA, and I would be interested in hearing them, if only to take on board any constructive criticisms that they may care to share openly with everyone. In saying that, you 'can't please all of the people all of the time', but sincerely, I can only say that the overwhelming majority of people on here have always been 'coming from the right place' and only trying to do the very best they can for the GRA as far as I can see. It should go without saying that personal attacks don't count....I would add that if a 'semi-public appraisal' of the forum is required, it should be in regard to content and 'behaviours' not personal in any way, and be done in fairness and impartiality, or at least one would hope. I'm all for it personally, if it helps make the forum better...for EVERYONE.....

Speaking for myself, I think that the forum upholds the GRA 'ethos' extremely well, and that being as we are all 'only human' (ok, maybe I'm more chimp....) and inevitably may get things 'wrong' from time to time. At least content/info on here quickly 'gets corrected' if things like that ever do happen. Some threads and views may not be to everyone's taste, and fair enough, but it takes all sorts after all, and as long as it's not hurting anyone (or the club), then where is the harm, exactly?

Brian.
                  Last edited by Brian Thompson; 12/03/2015, 02:57 PM. Reason: Edit and tidy-up....

Comment

I would just like to thank you all for playing nicely!

I really thought this forum would go down the tubes shortly after we started it due to a variety of reasons but I'm delighted to say that never happened. I have used other forums from Vauxhall cars to Yamaha's and it seems you either never get a reply or some clever dick that spouts utter garbage.

I'm pleased to say that our forum is certainly the best I use and that is down to the people that use it. We have all sorts of discussions from the factory days to Moorland Blue sheep and every sort of technical issue in between. OK, so not everything is to everyone's taste and some people get a bit het up at times but this is going to happen and we always seem to resolve it somehow.

On balance, the forum is a good asset for the club and shows we at least know what a computer is and has brought in quite a few members.

I would just like to thank you all once again for making good use of the forum and looking after it. Special thanks to the Minister of Content (as in containing things, not as in contented!), Mr Thompson for the wealth of info he keeps digging up, a lot of which I have never seen, especially the Pathe News!

Comment

Entymology.

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                      Special thanks to the Minister of Content (as in containing things, not as in contented!), Mr Thompson for the wealth of info he keeps digging up, a lot of which I have never seen, especially the Pathe News!
                      You're more than welcome Rob, thanks mate. Will I have to wear a suit now? Bit of a worry that, as we all know that a motorcyclist in a suit is usually called 'the accused'....

Anyway.....I really like digging, as you know......but the echoes used to freak me out a bit though, until I stopped barking.....

bRiAn.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 12/03/2015, 10:29 PM. Reason: Pic attached.

Comment

Unkind comment

Rob were you having a sideways swipe at our committee man Richard?
                        Mike

Comment

Que.....?

Comment

Clever dick

Comment

Clever dick!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X