No announcement yet.

the shape of things to come!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting that this topic (i.e.the future of the GRA in the context of an aging membership) should surface at this time.

This issue was debated at the last Committee (although it has been "the elephant in the room" for some time now).

The fact is that some long-standing and key committee members will be standing down in April - unlike Keith, many feel the need to slow down a bit when they enter their 7th (or even 8th) decade. Or indeed, they may have other priorities.

For example, after editing Leading Link for more than twelve years I'm thinking seriously about standing down soon as there are other things I want to spend my time on.

Changing things would be greatly helped by new (younger?) blood on the committee. Leading Link would benefit from a fresh approach.

The Committee agreed that the situation would be conveyed to the membership at large in the February Leading Link. Then perhaps a tide of youthful volunteers to join the Committee might appear at the AGM in April.

This debate has started on here - so be it, there is a good deal of realism and common sense in the earlier posts. Have your say too.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Separate post because I wanted my previous one to stand on its own:

Thanks for your positive analysis of the situation Brian. Very helpful I feel.

Have to agree with the comments about John's knowledgeable contributions on roadsters. He gets in so quick that the rest us can sit back and nod sagely rather than add to the debate. He's usually right, you know.

Roadster events have been tried folks, but were never adequately supported - we're so spread out that we're better off supporting VMCC runs - at least they have a large enough membership to have sizeable local sections throughout the country.

I would point out that Rob Thornton is Chairman of the GRA, he's out of the country at the moment. I'm not trying to usurp his leadership role.
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Agree colin, with all respect to the committee, for the club to move forward, young, fresh blood is needed, to assist the current committee not because people are not doing what they should or anything like that! just because, it needs freshening up, by people with an unblinkered out look, that can bring something different to the club, which would help attract more youngsters
        If the youth are not encouraged into the club, then there is going to a large void, when older members start stepping aside.
        But you are not going to attract people, by dragging things back into the eightiers with news letters & the like, that might cater for the older members now, but it does nothing for the membership of tmrw.
        There is room for every type of member, but you have to keep one eye on tmrw. I`ve said my piece, but that was not what the thread was about.....

Comment

I think that's what I was trying to say, Dave. There is a real issue here which can only really be addressed by the younger members of the committee (and there are a couple) and by some new blood.
          Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 30/11/2014, 02:16 PM.
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

The shape of things to come

AS Colin has pointed out in his post, the committee are aware of this situation and new younger members are required, but getting them to participate is another thing.
            Every club , has this same problem so lets see at the AGM younger members be they Scramble , Trials, Road Racing , and the Road bikes come and help out in the Club.
            I am sure if you put pen to paper Keith and sent Colin an article on this you would then see how much support there was,! a weekend at a venue, show, or somewhere else that would attract people to a central point to save on long distant travel perhaps, see what response there is.

I think that all the mails that have been sent in are saying the same thing, and are made from people that have spent days , and weeks of there time supporting the club over many years, and do care about its survival.

Comment

I apologise for meandering off of the thread but my enthusiasm lead me astray. You must take on board that my comments are similar to any new member either joining or re-joining the club.

The issue of grumpy old men running antique vehicle clubs seems to be a particularly British problem. In the world of antique vehicles it seems that antique guys run it all. But that is only in what I would call inactive associations. The kind of clubs where members do not use their cars or bikes for what ever reason and just keep them for the very rare outing.

It is very difficult to attract a different and more family based enthusiast if you are never seen anywhere. Public events always pick up local interest. It is all about getting out there and letting the public see us and advertise our existence.

I know I keep mentioning France and French clubs but over there they have lots of younger members in bike clubs and car clubs because they do it in a different way. Most classic clubs are very active and get about to local places of interest like town squares, local town social events and small rallies. They are more often than not well supported by the councils who usually provide lots of help. These classic car and bike events attract visitors some of which will inevitably become participants, They attract all ages of members because of the social side of the hobby. And that is what is missing in Britain.

When have you ever seen a gathering of classic vehicles? Hardly ever. Even the VMCC events are either few and far between or are off road events unknown to the public, usually miles from civilisation.

We had exactly the same problem with model aeroplanes. Once, every park had a few men and boys flying on a Sunday but then we all got banned because of health and safety and the sport died. If the public never see the event then they will not know that you even exist.

A bit of a preamble, but it sets out why there is such a diminishing and ageing membership. Nobody knows you exist so how can you ever attract new members. The only new members now will be guys who have bought that old Greeves that had sat in a shed for years. We need people who see the bikes, like them, and join the GRA so that they can use them. Bike shows are a bit limited, trials are too remote, so where will you find new members.

Local events, always!! Someone will see your bike and will be interested in getting a Greeves, especially if there are moderately regular local meetings and events where they can see us. Ok, maybe we will never get big groups of bikes together but at lest we could get a few. Maybe as part of a British Two Stroke Club or VMCC ride out.

The solution is so obvious but not easy to achieve. We need to be seen as a friendly crowd, riding interesting bikes at local shows, church events, any where attended by he public. There are lots of village or town events all through the summer everywhere and many organisers welcome classic cars and bikes.

Get out, be seen and advertise. That is the way to go. This is where the road legal bikes are so important. We are the guys who can get out and advertise the club. Off road events are by necessity private so cannot fly the flag. So being seen out on your Greeves, whether it is part of another club's ride out or our own gathering is crucial. We need to be out there and meeting people, then we may attract new enthusiasts of all ages.

That is the way that works in France and the classic movement is huge over there. Go to any local event and there is almost always a few classics. We need to follow their lead. It is a great day out and we meet lots of interesting people. Some of whom join the club and THEN buy a classic because they want to be part of the fun.

It will take time but it can be done. John Wakefield has an area group in Essex (is it Essex?) so all it needs is area "reps" who can look after a few outings locally.

If no one sees us then we will never get out of the rut. Once an area group gets going it will attract new members and new life.

A local rep could advertise the club, get involved with local council events and other local clubs. Many car clubs like classic bikes to turn up at their meetings.

I've said enough. I hope that some of what I say is useful. In conclusion, if you need fresh blood then you will have to actively get out and find it. There is little chance that it will come to you because nobody knows you or what you are outside of the closed world of antique bikes.

I will help as much as I can but I live half the year in France so my activities will be mainly local to Normandy or Mid Wales. And on the internet.

How about a Greeves weekend gathering in Normandy next summer? Just 25 miles from Cherbourg in glorious countryside with the best beaches side you have ever seen. Anyone interested, please PM me.

Keith

Comment

Some good points there Keith but I think the bottom line is that riders/owners of ALL motorcycles are thin on the ground, and a diminishing breed. As I said in a previous post youngsters are only interested in riding twist & go's for a couple of years before they are old enough to drive a car. Few are going on to pass the full motorcycle driving test to move onto bigger bikes, so would not be able to ride a Greeves anyway, even fewer have an interest in motorcycling as a hobby.
                Whilst getting out with our bikes may cause some interest from the older generation ie "A Greeves, didnt Dave Bickers ride one of those" but as far as youngsters are concerned they are likely to pass straight by.
                At the Cambridge (not Essex) section we run a Vintage & Classic Bike Show at the Cambridge Musum of Technolgy each June (next year its on June 28th) but we only ever get around 50 bikes turning up & few of the general public.
                You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink.

Comment

How many bikes are ridden?

I have gone through the East Coaster register & checked UK registration numbers on the DVLA web site to see current status. My findings are as follows:-
                  Licenced 25
                  Unlicenced 22
                  SORN'd 11
                  Total 58
                  Some of the unlicenced bikes go back many years & some are not on the DVLA database. A number of u/l bikes are known to be basket cases with parts missing
                  So there appear to be less than 50% licenced

Comment

Retiring Committee Members/Newsletter Editors.

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                    Interesting that this topic (i.e.the future of the GRA in the context of an aging membership) should surface at this time.

This issue was debated at the last Committee (although it has been "the elephant in the room" for some time now).

The fact is that some long-standing and key committee members will be standing down in April - unlike Keith, many feel the need to slow down a bit when they enter their 7th (or even 8th) decade. Or indeed, they may have other priorities.

For example, after editing Leading Link for more than twelve years I'm thinking seriously about standing down soon as there are other things I want to spend my time on.

Changing things would be greatly helped by new (younger?) blood on the committee. Leading Link would benefit from a fresh approach.

The Committee agreed that the situation would be conveyed to the membership at large in the February Leading Link. Then perhaps a tide of youthful volunteers to join the Committee might appear at the AGM in April.

This debate has started on here - so be it, there is a good deal of realism and common sense in the earlier posts. Have your say too.
                    Thanks for your thoughts Colin, and the supportive comments regarding what I was trying to say.

I would like to add that we ALL owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to all the long standing committee members who will be standing down at the AGM next year, for their unstinting hard work and dedication to the club and the Greeves name. I hope they will enjoy a richly deserved and happy 'retirement', not to say a good rest! I've seen first hand the care and diligence they have brought to the job, and they will be missed, of that I'm sure.

Brian.

Comment

as well as being a reasonably new member of the gra i run the flatlands section of the mighty panther owners club we only have 6 local members but run the flatlands frolic each year in early june, about 30 panthers turn up from all over the uk and france, it would not be any more work to invite the greeves riders to join us, free camping , real ale a run out to the musuem of the broads and a trip on a 1894 steam boat, we welcome any other bikes to join us and many do, i would love to have as many greeves road legal bikes to join in or i would be willing to run a similar event just for the gra,plus if any help is needed to run /lay out any trials -in the norfolk area i am more than willing to help , i only wish i was a bit more at home with this computer thing but i am getting better,, will.

Comment

Interesting Idea.....

Hi will,

You're doing just great mate, and keep up the good work. Your contributions are both welcome and valued.

Thanks for the extremely kind offer re your Panther OC event, might be some mileage there....! I'll make sure it get's picked up when things are a bit calmer for our Rob, just in case he misses it. Sounds very promising.

I haven't forgotton your 'Twanger's Corner' query either, just been a bit busy with other stuff on here recently, but I will get back to you, I promise.

Brian.

Comment

I have only one question....if we come to the combined GRA/POC event, will it be compulsory to sit and listen to the Twanging?

Comment

'Ding Ding.....'

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                            I have only one question....if we come to the combined GRA/POC event, will it be compulsory to sit and listen to the Twanging?
                            Don't worry Brian....I'll bring your triangle so you can join in.....

Brian (The Other Brian.)

Comment

no brian but drinking a few pints of panther ale is now all i need is to find a greeves ale supplier ,.will.

Comment

Do you have to be twanker to go to a twanging event and is it necessary to bring a triangle?

Confused of Neasden

Comment

Working...
                                X