Anyone restoring Invacars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
    Keith, I'd put that about 1960-61. My book by Piet Olyslager about Cross-Country Cars shows a piture of a Moke with a number 8 on it, presumably from one of these events, with the date of 1960 ascribed to Army Trials with the Moke. Obviously the lack of ground clearance was a major problem, but the Australian Army adopted a version with bigger wheels for Patrol and Dog duties.
    Haflingers were adopted by many Armies and even found use within our Navy onboard aircraft carriers. The Haflinger's big brother, the Pinzgauer, was a huge success, selling in big numbers, with production switching to the UK.
    I was in Sussex, newly married but watching black and white TV. Seem to remember them hacking through the bumps near a power station cooling tower. Was it somewhere in Surrey?
    Or is the memory a hallucination. I can spell Haflinger too :-)

So here we are on a Greeves website talking about Haflingers ... Lol Luv it!!!

Keith

Comment

Mind you, one of these might be fun. Create your own motoX circuit in one pass!!
      Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

And ... I can't fall of these babies.

Keith

Comment

Keith, these things are unbelievably quick and more than a little dangerous to be around! They are rather prone to (a) use solo riders for grip, and (b) fall over. They will fall over in all planes, the worst being the spring wind-up, leading to forward roll, with great detriment to the crew in the cab. You may not fall off, but they may have to scrape you out from inside!
        I can remember the story of one of the Army ISDT team running in his new BSA engine at Slab Common and being passed by one of the Jaguar-engined APCs with the bottom of the wheels at his shoulder height. These Dakar trucks have about 5 times the power of that APC!

Comment

Working...
        X