Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone restoring Invacars?

Just spotted an advert in Old Glory

70 Invacar lots of new parts came from 1970's Invacar factory £375 (Essex)
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 14/10/2014, 10:06 AM. Reason: Phone number removed

Any Challenger engines there?????

Comment

Seriously I think there are probably the Puch horizontally opposed engines. Same as in the Haflinger
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 16/10/2014, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Hope Colin reads this ad as I believe he has a not-too-secret fetish for Invacars! He certainly seems to like driving them!

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
          Seriously I think there are probably the Puch horizontally opposed engines. Same as in the Hafliger
          The later Invercars had a Steyr Puch four-stroke flat twin. It was 500cc. The Halfinger did indeed have essentially the same engine, but it was a 650.

Shut up Rob!
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
            The later Invercars had a Steyr Puch four-stroke flat twin. It was 500cc. The Halfinger did indeed have essentially the same engine, but it was a 650.

Shut up Rob!
            Was it not this connection with Steyr Puch that resulted in Greeves using their 170cc engine in the Pathfinder?
            Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 14/10/2014, 11:15 AM.

Comment

I have managed to get in touch with the seller, all sold to Africa, they were Villiers engines

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                Was it not this connection with Steyr Puch that resulted in Greeves using their 170cc engine in the Pathfinder?
                I think that is a reasonable assumption John.

(By the way, I didn't edit your post - just pressed the wrong button)
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Just had a horrible vision of a Pathfinder with a 500 flat twin in it........
                  BTW, more than one Haflinger was modded with VW Beetle pistons (and possibly other bits) to make it a bit a bit more lively.

Comment

Well done Brian, you're the first of us to spell HAFLINGER correctly!

(I managed to spell Invacar wrong as well, I see - it's an age thing...)
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Colin, after many years being rattled around inside a Haffy during the routemarking of the Welsh 2 Day Trials, I think Haflinger is engraved somewhere on my back! Absolutely brilliant little vehicles except for those who have to get in and out several hundred times a day and rub your "lower thigh" across the bodywork! Makes a change from burning your bits on a badly designed expansion chamber!
                      The Halfinger spelling is almost what Raymond Baxter used when seeing a Haffy being driven by members of the Army ISDT Team during a TV Army v London Car Club event. He said "He isn't Halflinging it about! That event was memorable for the appearance of the twin-engined Mini-Moke which deposited one of the Army Team out the side door.....OK no doors!....when the rear engine went flat out and the front ceased to function!

Comment

Do you know, Brian, I saw that programme and remember that Raymond Baxter quote!

(Now there's a motor racing commentator who's never been bettered)
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                          Do you know, Brian, I saw that programme and remember that Raymond Baxter quote!

(Now there's a motor racing commentator who's never been bettered)
                          I remember those annual events. Were part of Xmas to me. But what year was it? The snowy ones were the best.

Keith

Comment

Keith, I'd put that about 1960-61. My book by Piet Olyslager about Cross-Country Cars shows a piture of a Moke with a number 8 on it, presumably from one of these events, with the date of 1960 ascribed to Army Trials with the Moke. Obviously the lack of ground clearance was a major problem, but the Australian Army adopted a version with bigger wheels for Patrol and Dog duties.
                            Haflingers were adopted by many Armies and even found use within our Navy onboard aircraft carriers. The Haflinger's big brother, the Pinzgauer, was a huge success, selling in big numbers, with production switching to the UK.

Comment

A good example of the Hafligers ability http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMYsf6w2wVo
                              & an official Steyr-Puch factory film http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQZerV3AnYo
                              Last edited by John Wakefield; 17/10/2014, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X