Greeves prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves prices

I have recently come under severe 'criticism' by some members over my comments on a certain Greeves recently on eBay. I think as a club the whole question of prices should be a concern to members of the club.
    Whilst as others have said, the price a bike sells for is a matter between seller & buyer, & in most cases this is very true, but what we are seeing now is 'speculators' putting bikes on eBay (and in other auctions) trying to get 'over the odds' prices for bikes that just dont 'make the grade.
    Whilst I am sure that those of us in the club who know a bit about Greeves would not be taken in by these 'chancers', BUT a newcomer to the marque may not have that knowledge to decide on whether the price is right.
    Inflated prices have a knock on effect & put what would be an affordable bike out of reach for those wishing to get a Greeves to ride & hopefully join the GRA.
    Do we really want a situation like with Triumphs, BSA's, Vincents, Broughs etc. where the prices are going sky high putting these bikes out of reach for anyone other than well healed collectors. Do we want to be a collectors club?
    The indication at most 'real' auctions (Cheffins, Bonhams etc) is that at the moment Greeves prices are still down at an affordable level (ie Mike Jacksons Hawkstone @ £2200 & Gordon Farley's works Anglian @£4500 - Cheffins Oct 2013) Thing is prices only go up with classic bikes, with previous sale prices setting a precident.
    I rest my case.

Read your secound post in this thread john, you can`t have it both ways...http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=3921

Comment

There is no doubt comments either good or bad if made in the public domain can potentially effect an auction. It's not like it is a trial (a legal one ) where discussion is not allowed as the outcome could be compromised by discussion prior to the verdict being reached. I don't see how you get round this in the case of the auction though?

Personally if I was interested in a Greeves bike on auction anywhere I would do my homework before bidding. I certainly would not risk raising the interest level by posting a question or any information about it on this forum.

David.

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
        Read your secound post in this thread john, you can`t have it both ways...http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=3921
        The gist of the post was that Greeves are not at present in the Triumph/Vincent/Brough etc exotic league, & do we want them to be. Yes we all want to see our bikes keep place with inflation but not to make an enormous profit at the end of the day. I bought my EC for £750 in 1999 its probably worth £2750 now so not a lot of profit there over 14 years taking into account it was a non runner when I bought it having stood 12 years & cost of replacement parts etc. If it was in the condition that I have got it up to back then I suppose it would have been worth £1500, thats £89 per year increase, so taking that into account even less an investment.
        A 1960/61 Triumph Bonneville would have gone from £3k to £10k in that time, £500 per year increase.

Comment

On my other interest forum, Honda C90s, a similar thing has happened with prices going up at unrealistic rates. This advert, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-C90-...item2585bff0e5 has really taken it to another level. Begs the question what would a new, zero miles Greeves be worth? Dogsbody

Comment

What would a zero miles greeves be worth now?......prehaps not the best time to ask a question like that dogsbody.........

Comment

A zero miles Greeves Griffon 380 in red flake came up on ebay recently (approx. 2 months ago) in USA and sold for a little over $10,000 (GBP 6000). It was in original condition as it had left the factory and had been in a private collection and had never been started

see http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other...item35ca91218d

see http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other...item35ca70d1dc

Paul
              Last edited by pgc40; 23/11/2013, 08:22 PM.

Comment

It matters little what anyone thinks,the value of any item is purely what someone is prepared to pay.

Comment

Greeves prices

Hello all, i have just joined the G.R.A. as i have just aquired a 59 20TA, it has changed somewhat since it left the factory as its now badged as a hawkstone with alpha bottom end, square barell and steffa ignition. It is in barn find codition and seized. I paid £690 inc commision at auction, it is all there bar one or two items which i have put a wanted add in for in the wanted section. I am happy with what i paid as i will enjoy bringing it back to life in its present hawkstone cloak (yes i know it should have paddle hubs) and then maybe return it to its original form at a later date. My first Greeves i bought was a 67 anglian which i saved up for with a pal in 1973, it was well tired and verry used, we paid £40 for it. Greeves made verry fine motorcycles and i am just glad ive made a return to them, i think i paid about the right price .

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
                    What would a zero miles greeves be worth now?......prehaps not the best time to ask a question like that dogsbody.........
                    Would be an expensive first kick start !!!

Comment

cost of classic scrambling vs twinshock

As to the serious side of the thread- I agree with the overwhelming sentiment.............that we bow to market forces and prices are driven by supply and demand ............But that doesn't mean I like it .

One aspect not covered so far is that Classic Scrambling is now a very expensive sport - much more so than modern. and it is not helped by the fact that prices of bikes have gone up considerably. (thank god it is much more fun though

The cost could deter more riders coming into what is a brilliant sport - and that would be a shame.

As a comparison - I just bought a 1981 Montesa Cappra 414 twinshock for £650 (been searching for a few years) and although unused for many years it is far from a basket case. I will spend about £600 on it to get it into top condition ...so £1250 ready to race - that is a lot of bike for the money.

Most Griffons go for well over £2000 now- and I would spend typically £1000 - by the time I had sorted electrics, tyres, suspension , rebuild , re-bore, piston etc.

That said - the Greeves Championship is still the most fun you can have with your clothes on (or off for that matter )
                      Cheers Kim

Comment

Originally posted by stace View Post
                        Hello all, i have just joined the G.R.A. as i have just aquired a 59 20TA, it has changed somewhat since it left the factory as its now badged as a hawkstone with alpha bottom end, square barell and steffa ignition. It is in barn find codition and seized. I paid £690 inc commision at auction, it is all there bar one or two items which i have put a wanted add in for in the wanted section. I am happy with what i paid as i will enjoy bringing it back to life in its present hawkstone cloak (yes i know it should have paddle hubs) and then maybe return it to its original form at a later date. My first Greeves i bought was a 67 anglian which i saved up for with a pal in 1973, it was well tired and verry used, we paid £40 for it. Greeves made verry fine motorcycles and i am just glad ive made a return to them, i think i paid about the right price .
                        That's what it is all about. Good luck with the restoration.

David.

Comment

I think that where possible we members have a right to put our views forward. Surely this is a function of the forum.
                          We want new members and if these views are read then an inexperienced member maybe saved from getting his or her fingers burned.
                          I have noticed the majority of bikes for sale now on Ebay appear to be by dealers and remain for sale at buy it now prices.
                          I recently bought an Anglian via Ebay at what I believed to be a realistic price. both the vendor, a private individual, and I were satisfied with the agreed price.
                          I would like to believe that the bikes which have been for sale at inflated asking prices do not sell until the values have been reduced.
                          If Dave Harpur had not organised the Greeves Championship I wonder if the value of those bikes would only have a nominal value or been scrapped.
                          These are my personal ramblings which may add fuel to the debate, but do not stop the discussion.
                          Mike

Comment

New Members.

Originally posted by Mike Norris View Post
                            I think that where possible we members have a right to put our views forward. Surely this is a function of the forum.
                            We want new members...
                            Hi Mike,

Hope you're keeping well, and nice to see the VC posting on here.

My apologies if this is a tad 'off topic' re this particular thread everyone, but your opening comments struck a chord.

I noticed this evening a new member posted on here for the first time, and as his thread had received around 30 'views' I thought I'd better offer the chap a proper GRA 'welcome aboard'; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=4111

I'm sure someone would have got round to it eventually. I too think it's important to encourage new members (and keep them), well said.

Getting back to the topic in hand, I think this thread is an interesting example; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=1092

With your comments in mind, it therefore saddens me that, for whatever reason, drabble's last activity on here was 8/6/11.

In my opinion, I have always felt (and said many times on here) that the most effective path to buying your first Greeves is to join the GRA first, do some research and become informed about the model(s) you are interested in (it's part of the fun!), and then at least you will know what you are looking at and can query anything with other members that you may need to about a potential purchase. That was my approach, and another advantage is that you may even find a bike via a fellow GRA member, as I did. If you are already a member, but the model of Greeves you are considering purchasing is new to you, then the forum is often a great way of accessing any info you may need by asking other members.

One final point though....it's way past my bedtime and I've got a long, difficult commute in the morning (65 mile round trip every day, by motorcycle...brrrr!) How useful are any eBay thread comments on here to new members if supporting pictures of the sale item are no longer available to view as a reference, via the link given, because the auction has ended....?

Just sayin....

Brian.
                            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 07/12/2013, 01:11 AM. Reason: Links added.

Comment

Working...
                            X