Greeves Days 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
    Or seeing the sights of California - who could blame them, eh!
    Colin,

They were driving all the way back to Kentucky, we've had some really bad storms in the mid-west, so I hope they made it back safely.

Kenny

Comment

Tammy and Dave I think said they were visiting family on their return trip and will be back in Kentucky on Monday. It was great to meet you Kenny and sorry I never got the chance to chat to you Connal but I hope that you are feeling better.

Colin, the olives in the beer was interesting and refreshing and the Pozo saloon was like going back in time; it reminded me of the old west like in the cowboy films.

I have attached a photo that I found on the internet which shows the start of a desert race, probably taken in the 1960's.

Paul
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pgc40 View Post
        I have attached a photo that I found on the internet which shows the start of a desert race, probably taken in the 1960's.

Paul
        Nice picture! Banana-forked Challengers, so mid to late sixties undoubtedly.
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

You know the classic California response to that?

"No mud"
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

The Infamous Rambler

Hey all! Love the posts !

Kenny---so good to meet you! I can't thank you enough for letting me take her for a spin It was an absolute pleasure and a sweetheart of a gal! I am amazed at how well you kept my secrets, as much as I have the gift to ramble...you are as solid as a rock!

Paul--great pics! It was soo good to meet you to! I had a blast Sunday night...it was quite fun trading up bikes I have to say...mighty slick of you to sneek off Sunday am and miss out on the strawberry margarita hang over proddings by all :....Quite the treat Dave's drinks are...especially when mixed in the ole blender running off the power inverter ...I am not sure, but am convinced that may be "redneck" !

It was the best time ever...definitely worth the 5875 miles, and that was with the down time in Pozo, 1 day and night in Vegas and another in Phoenix.

We hit marvelous weather...oops, WY chewed us up and spit us out...we had decided on the way from Cheyenne to Casper that WY might be a potential retirement place...after we picked the gals up in Casper it began to snow, about 1/2 foot in 2 hrs and temps 10 below zero....I convinced Dave to push on...after all we had seen a bald eagle on the side of the road having lunch...A definite Good omen....got 1/4 to Laramie and another several inches and visibility zero...took us 3 hrs to go 40 miles and the interstate closed a few minutes after we got in...got down to 25 below...needless to say WY crossed off the choices of permanent residences...Beautiful place to visit though!

We were soo lucky...sunshine from then on out!

Collin---you are soo sweet! We got the Wessex and Ranger..in Pozo I was on one of many rides...when I got back Dave was acting strangely...I asked him what was up...he got this goofy look on his face and said..."I bought this Mx...it's just missing the seat and exhaust.." Not sure why he thought I would think that anything but MARVELOUS...may have to do with the 4 cylinder truck that was already with it's nose higher up than it should be.
            He was then asking frank about the other MX that was frame, jug and lower end...he just wanted the springs... I encouraged him to just buy all of what was left...didn't take much!

The Wessex...I have been pleasantly surprised so far...back wheel froze up...we pulled it off, speedo gear frozen...opened up the hubs...packed full of sand and dirt...back brake froze...BUT all worked loose with minimal effort...got her freed easily. Most nuts etc moving with a scant amount of Kreep Oil...I am shocked on that...got the chain guard off and malloted out....The Piston...and jug...MYMYMY, at least piston frozed at bottom and with a TON of rust...shes soaking in a bath of Kreep Oil too..
            All bearings will need replaced, but planned on that along with all seals etc. Funny thing is...head gasket in great shape.
            Both were running and then parked...he pulled the carb off the Wessex and shoved some shop towels in the exhaust port etc...so hoping jug and piston not horribly scored...most likely will have cylinder honed and maybe replace piston.

We have vowed not to get 2 projects going at once....MX has fabulous spark and compression...oh soooo tempting.

But I want my trials bike and to start practicing for next year ... Alex and I already have bets going on the most points.

Everyone was fabulous at Greeves Days...great folks with the greatest bikes.

I have never seen so many Greeves in one place at one time...I am sure that is the closest glimpse of heaven I will get before I die!

Will check in and write more later...fresh off a 16 hr shift...no break in time from vacation

Take care all!

Rambeling Tammy

Comment

Hi again!

I had to add a funny story.

I am not sure ya'll know of the US show Pickers. 2 guys hit the road and look for old barns for treasures.

Well, in...can't remember the name of the little town before Pozo...but we stopped there to gas up the girls and add to the cooler.
              I came out of the store and there was a man checking out the Greeves gals in the back of the truck and Dave had the trailer open and he had looked in there...
              He was blown away...thought the Greeves were Cool...He then blurted out...

"OH my goodness....you are pickers aren't you!!" He seemed to be looking around for cameras too...LOL!

Ahhh..denial was a great short ride....for though I instantly thought NO way...heart and gut knew it was the truth....or at least definitely afflicted with the DISEASE !

Take care all!

Tammy

Comment

Good to hear Tammy and Dave are back safe. Vegas is fun, isn't it Tammy? No doubt we'll hear whether Eleanor enjoyed herself. (At Greeves Days I mean!)

Did anyone who went take pictures or keep a record of who won what in the various competitions? I'd like to put a piece in Leading Link.

If anyone would like to email me a Word document and jPegs direct, please pm me for my email address.

How about posting a picture or two of the Pozo Saloon celebrations - pure nostalgia for me!
                Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 24/02/2011, 08:27 PM. Reason: spelling
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Tracker View Post
                  Sorry I missed it Ken. The neighbor won't budge on the Scottish and I sold "Ole Yeller". I was going to come anyway but the water heater blowing on Friday changed my plans.
                  I heard that the guy who got the Hawkstone found a picture of it with Kathy's dad in the frame. Viewfinder's GP? We were right.
                  Yeah you missed one of the best ones! Sorry you can't snatch that Scottish. We had a good trial with a few new faces.

Sorry about the water heater...I just replaced mine

Maybe next year!

Kenny

Comment

Working...
                  X