Grumph's Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony ,

The top yoke isn't treaded , the stud goes in the bottom yoke and is locked in place with a lock nut , the top of the stud had a nyloc nut and it is used to adjust the head races .

I'll measure mine tommorrow - the stud that is - and let you know the length etc.

Chris

Comment

Tony ,

The stud is 5/16 BSF , approx. 9.25" long , with 1" thread at the top & 1.25" at the bottom .

Chris

Comment

Completed brake plate

I picked up the Norton brake plate from Norvil on the way to Stafford. Seems expensive for a piece of pressed out steel and new brake cams
        - not even Stainless steel nuts to match the Stainless linkage I sent with it. Anyway hopefully it will now have the desired effect of stopping the bike in a reasonable distance.
        The pitting that was caused from the chrome plating is only really visible close up. The levers were polished on the wrong side so I will get them polished the correct side

Comment

Norvil brake plate

Have you made you comments on the quality to Les Emery at Norvil, the only way they are going get things right is if customers complain. I personally would have rejected it at the point of collection. No good moaning afterwards.
          You paid good money for it so need a good product!!

Comment

Cost

The cost is what is advertised, my comment was not about the quality of his work, but the cost of the kit. Yes it would have been nice if he had fitted three stainless steel nuts but I did not ask and some customers might not want stainless as it is not original. The levers were not from him so they just fitted what was given. Pays to specify exactly what you want.
            Last edited by tony; 16/10/2011, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Speedometer bracket

Mock up of speedometer and rev counter bracket. I think it will work well - a few spacers required, but should look balanced.
              Trouble is I have the speedometer, but not a rev counter
              The black faced ones are harder to find as well, though I could by a new one which will probably work better.

Comment

Please note everybody, "Grumph" threads merged.

Tony you have a PM
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Tank and seat

I now have a Norman Hyde 4.9 gallon tank (sitting on my Scottish for the moment) which I am going to use on the grumph. Should be good for 300 + miles - the Leh to Manali road is over 300 miles with no filling stations so should be less fuel to carry compared to the KTM I had.

The seat is from a 96 Triumph Adventurer, nice and wide for a comfortable long ride.

Going to use the Greeves bracket to hold the black faced speedometer.

Comment

Tank and seat on the TFS frame

Here it is now 'mocked' up on the correct frame - TFS with the 'dummy' Triumph engine. Fits well and the cheap rack also should fit okay after a little cutting and chopping

Comment

Completed front wheel

The wheel has returned, rebuilt and ready to go - the spacers and spindle fit perfectly thanks to Will Horgan.

Comment

Some more Greeves'ness

Not much at Kempton park auto jumble, I did however pick up this Greeves Scottish number plate bracket from D P.
                        I think the 'smallness' of it will look in keeping and the Wipac light units are cheap and easy to replace when they get broken.

Comment

Rear sprocket

Rear sprocket, 53 teeth which with the 18 tooth engine sprocket (ratio of 2.94) is the same as fitted to the Triumph Adventurer (TR5T). Produced by Sprockets unlimited.

Comment

Rolling chassis

Thanks to Phil's hard work the grumph is now starting to take shape. The tank and seat are fitted and also the adapted oil tank and battery box are bolted on.
                            The wheels have been put on so I can make my way to Falcon to get some shocks made up. Next will be a trip up to Stafford to OS stainless for the exhaust fit.
                            Although there are bits to bold on the bike feels very well balance and low, both feet on the ground, that is a first for me on an adventure bike

Comment

Falcon Shocks

I went to Wareham to have some Falcon Shock Absorbers fitted by Robin. Fantastic guy who spent time making sure the spring was correct for what I want.
                              Once the bike is fully built I will take it back to him for final checking.
                              It is nice to find someone who takes the time and does not just sell you a product in a box.

I think there is a Swan inside trying to get out of this ugly duck

Comment

Hi tony, looks like you are enjoying your build, its gonna look cracking when the paint, etc goes on, have to say though, that looking from the rear, in your pic, it looks, very much like the rear wheel offset is to far to the right, is it just the pic angle or is that the only way of squeezing the final drive in,. with the engine central to the frame. dave.

Comment

Working...
                                X