Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running, no Dissy !!!!

Is this possible ????

1955 GREY MASSEY FERGIE LOOK RUNNING WITHOUT A DISTRIBUTOR CAP. PLEASE EXPLAIN????DROVE TRACTOR FOR AN HOUR TURN IT OFF AN HOUR LATER WENT TO START IT AND IT...

whitehillbillies

Whitehillibillies

I dont have a clue on the T20 Fergie , all i can remember about those tractors was getting a B-----g from my uncle when i was about 12 for driving it all day ploughing and keep filling it up with petrol!! no one said you turn it over to TVO when it is warmed up.

Comment

It's obviously hot, so can run like a diesel on the TVO????

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
        It's obviously hot, so can run like a diesel on the TVO????
        Yebut it would not stop (like the one in the the clip) when the ignition switch is turned off would it. I think the You tube clip is a clever video edit. Should have been posted on April 1st

Comment

As you say cleverly edited to not show to much, but you can shut an engine down like he is doing by blanking off the air intake, which he has cleverly kept outta sight.....

Comment

I hope the word you were disguising there was 'beating' and not something else beginning with B and ending with G Dick. If not, you may have a successful claim on your hands and be able to buy a few more Greeves!

At the last Perce Simon trial I rode in, my Anglian throttle got jammed, I whipped the plug lead off and she carried on revving! I stuffed a glove in the air intake to stop it, having ripped off the air cleaner. The principle of the glow-plug motor I suppose?!

Confession - it finished the trial OK but when I checked it out, I found the compression ratio was 11.7:1. Using the wrong grade of plug (don't know how) was the last straw for it! Thought that motor was a bit harsh!

Moral - Don't just chuck the engine together using the parts that came with it without checking and use the right plug!

Comment

Oh YES it can!

Hi all

I've shared 3 experiences here before, but will share again as it fits...
              1. MCS with an early 70's Mikuni...just prior to a total mechanical restore we had her out and running her, she was actually running AWESOME, Dave pulled up between dad and I and she (Ms Eleanor the MCS) promptly revved to WOT and stuck there...Dave didn't want to try a high gear stall out for fear she would just strand straight up...took a h e double l of a zap pulling the plug cap, she screamed on...turned off the gas...she screamed on until she ran out of gas, which was several long minutes That turned out to be the last time we ran her with that carb and throttle set up, cause was a kinked inside the carb cable that would not allow the slide to close. No readily accessible air filter on the MCS.

2. Tessa the Trails, working with a Namtab electronic ignition that was on its way out (we didn't know it at the time) and a Villers S25 carb that had been rebuilt many times...inside the shop she started with one kick and instantly revved up and went WOT stuck, turned off the gas, no change, pulled plug cap..no change, I started to freak and decided to get my bikes the heck out of there when Dave finally got the air filter off and crammed his hand up into the intake and she finally stalled..

3. My Grizzy, American Spec Wessex, at an event she refused to start and the kill switch on the Trails malfunctioned and I put the nice water proof one from Grizzy on to Tessa the Trails so I could ride her at the event. Anyway, a month later it was time to start and blow the cobwebs off all the Greeves, decided I would give Grizzy a try, I was shocked that she started first kick, did a dance to keep her running and add gas, lol...rode for about an hour and was a phenomenal ride, pulled up into shop and went to hit the kill switch...OOOPS Took her back out side and thought I would just high gear stall her, of course, clutch acting up, when I pulled in the clutch she just didn't seem phased, I had to keep the brakes locked up tight or she tried to take off...yeah, I know! So there I sat wishing I hadn't put 1/2 tank of gas in her, the high gear stall was NOT working...I knew better, but oh yeah I did, turned off the gas, so in a few minutes she was revved to WOT, I didn't even attempt the plug cap, no matter what gear I got her in, even Neutral she just tried to roll forward...so I laid her down gently on her side, damn thing didn't even flood!!! LOL, but got the air filter pulled and shoved my fist into the intake, got a good burn from the exhaust too.

Lesson for me....ALWAYS have a kill switch, and if it ever happens again...don't ever ever ever ever turn off the gas, had I just laid her down prior to WOT she may have flooded out on her own or at least I could have pulled the air filter in a much less rattled state

Comment

OK amateur girl question...would this diesel running phenomenon be due to the scavaging cycle of carbs pre reed valves?? Would seem so to me.

LOL, none of my pre reed valve Hondas do it. Forgive me Bert!

Comment

I had it once on a Trials Greeves borrowed for a few days, but I think carbon build-up may have been in the equation.

Comment

In most cases run-on is caused by excess oil held inside of the engine and in diesel engines is pulled into the induction system via the crankcase ventilation system, So don't overfill the engine with oil!
                    As for two strokes it could be caused by excess oil the crankcases, possibly gained by not running the engine for a longtime.So, after a long time of inactivity drain the crankcases before attempting to start the engine.

I have heard the story that when a truck diesel engine ran-on till it stopped of its own accord it was stripped down to find what what damage there was and they found a set of chewed-up overalls inside the bores. I just hope nobody was wearing them at the time!

Mike.

Comment

Tammy surely you know that giving bikes names brings them to life. They just do things like that for their own amusement...

Just to think we normally have to worry more about getting the ruddy things STARTED!
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

I had the 'diesel Anglian' syndrome at the Perce Simon trial a couple of years ago. You get a very strange feeling when the plug lead is off and the bike is still going like the clappers! Luckily, I was able to quickly get the air filter off!

Turned out I had somehow put the wrong plug in it and when I got the spare out of my pocket, that was the same type - arrrggghhh! Think the 'bad plug fairies' had been around!

The real cause turned out to be a compression ratio of 11.7:1! Whoops! That's what comes of just putting a bike together with the parts it came with and not checking them, instead just assuming they must be right! I was also running on a 50/50 avgas and petrol mix that I had drained out of my racing Yam. Teach me to be a cheapskate!

Moral of the story - check the parts you build the bike from carefully AND the simpler running parts such as plugs!

Comment

Working...
                        X