Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

54 years of riding motorcycles & never broke a bone till now & then not bike related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 54 years of riding motorcycles & never broke a bone till now & then not bike related

Having ridden motorcycles both on the road & in competition (trials & enduro's) over a period of 54 years, & although I have had a few 'offs' I had not broken any bones until recently, that is until I slipped on a grassy bank while cutting a hedge & fractured my ankle. So no bikes for another 8 weeks or so

Hi John. My sympathies, because I did a similar thing at the end of last November. Admittedly it was on the road (VERY low speed spill from my scooter, which is my daily transport). Could have done more damage slipping off a kerb, but I broke my right arm and it was over three months before I could even use a spanner, let alone ride my bikes! It completely scuppered my planned trials season with my Scottish! Of all the 'offs' I've had since the 1970s, whilst grass-tracking (2 and 3 wheels), speed hill-climbing and now trialling, I've only ever damaged myself in road crashes. Must be more careful...

Comment

Hi Andy, I think its something to do with getting older & brittle bones, although I had a big off about 20 months ago also on a scooter (Yamaha T80 Townmate) when a car did a U turn in front of me whilst filtering, luckily I came away from that with just bruises & bent front forks on the bike. The car a Rover 75 had damaged front suspension & was a write off. Bought a pair of forks off eBay & repaired the bike. Hopefully I should be able to ride that in about 6 to 8 weeks as its semi auto & gears on left, & easy to kick start with other leg ( have broken right ankle) The Greeves maybe will have wait a bit longer.

Comment

John, Tell the truth. You are actually Harrison Fords body double and it was you, not him, that broke their ankle.
        Get well soon. Dogsbody

Comment

Just to show you are not unique John, I bashed myself the Wednesday before the Perce Simon and Downland trials. I was out with our running club (in the dark and with a torch in my hand) on the final sprint to the finish. I tried to be clever and overtook a few in the road and tripped on a speed bump!

It certainly did it's job as I bit the dust in no time! Bruised ribs, arm, hand and a shoulder injury I still have. It certainly ruined my rides in the trials but I got round just about.

You don't always need a 100 mph death-smash on a bike to hurt yourself!

Comment

Sorry to hear your news John, hope you stitch back together quickly.

No doubt you'll make Cheddars Lane?

Dangerous things, hedges...
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

My sympathy, John,
              after riding for 40 years, came off my 77 CJ250T Honda, 8 weeks ago. Only second time, with injury. Shoulder muscle's and rib cartilage damage, 4 weeks to mend, but no broken bones. Honda had only a chipped indicator lens damage.
              Only other time was on the Greeves, driver cut me off, 2 broken ribs.
              The Greeves, well nothing !!!!
              Use the time doing, what you never have time to do.
              Rest up.

whitehillbillies

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                Sorry to hear your news John, hope you stitch back together quickly.

No doubt you'll make Cheddars Lane?

Dangerous things, hedges...
                Sadly Colin wont make Cheddars Lane on a bike, maybe get my wife to take me in the car. Not due back to hospital till 15th July so in plaster cast till then. Event going ahead with Dave Pink organising things.

Comment

Yesterday being the 13th, I decided to do as little as possible that needed any real effort (what's new?), so I had a nice relaxing day reading and checking the various Forums etc on the computer.
                  Just after 5pm the door bell went and on checking through the window, it was a delivery driver with a big parcel. Opened the door to find he was bringing it to me for "Mr Patel" next door......except the neighbours are Brits, albeit with a German extraction surname. The parcel being from Draper Tools, I had designs on taking and giving a false name, but I'm not that way inclined....really!
                  He had the box in the van when I suddenly remembered the 2 away neighbour, now left, was a Patel, so I ran after him to get a check on the immediate neighbour and the bloody front door closed behind me...... Luckily my neighbour has a spare key.... Oh, the parcel was for the 2 away new neighbour whose name is not Patel either........
                  Friday 13th.....stay in bed!

Comment

Hand start

Pleased to report that plaster cast came off last Tuesday after 6 weeks & I got discharged from hospital. Got out on the Townmate earlier in the week as it has LH gear change, but went out for a short run on the Greeves today, no problems other than not risking kick starting with the effected leg. Managed to start it by hand on kickstarter. Good job its a 250 twin & not a 380 Challenger or for that matter a 500 Gold Star.

Comment

Well done John; ride safely!

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                        Pleased to report that plaster cast came off last Tuesday after 6 weeks & I got discharged from hospital. Got out on the Townmate earlier in the week as it has LH gear change, but went out for a short run on the Greeves today, no problems other than not risking kick starting with the effected leg. Managed to start it by hand on kickstarter. Good job its a 250 twin & not a 380 Challenger or for that matter a 500 Gold Star.
                        Good to hear you're getting there, John.

It wouldn't do to stall at the traffic lights, would it?!
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                          Good to hear you're getting there, John.

It wouldn't do to stall at the traffic lights, would it?!
                          Not if I can help it, can start with other left leg (scooter style) but not too easy as have to balance on dodgy leg, another way if there is a bit of a slope is to bump start. Again something easy to do with a two stroke twin.

Comment

Working...
                          X