Dartford Crossing you cannot pay at barrier after Autumn 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dartford Crossing you cannot pay at barrier after Autumn 2014

As from Autumn this year you will no longer be able to pay by cash at the barriers on the Dartford Crossing.
    Payment must be made prior to journey or before midnight on the day after travel, on line, by text, at selected retail outlets or by phone. So if you don't have a credit/debit card you cant pay or cross. If you do your number will be zapped & a fine sent through the post. The good news is that motorcycles are free.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 15/04/2014, 09:12 AM. Reason: Have amended wording to 'day after travel'

Well done John, this is a new one on me! They are going to remove the payment booths and just leave 4 lanes with no requirement to stop. Apparently, it is being done to speed up traffic flow as the crossing is carrying far more traffic than it is designed for.

It sounds a real 'improvement' (not) and as you say, you need a bank card plus a mobile or whatever. Just complicating life with a calculation already in place no doubt, as to how much they will cream off in fines when drivers forget or hit problems. I suppose it will be necessary to pay in advance as if you are making a long journey and crossing before 10, you will somehow have to find a way of paying before midnight. Bet it won't be a free-phone number either!

Comment

Dartford crossing

The highways website actually says payment may be made up to midnight the day AFTER crossing and not the day of crossing.

Comment

Dartford Crossing

Originally posted by brokabolt View Post
        The highways website actually says payment may be made up to midnight the day AFTER crossing and not the day of crossing.
        Yes that is correct but as Rob says the whole scheme is "Just complicating life"
        Thing is this is part of the M25 motorway, 1000's of vehicles use this & having joined it at some point & they will be oblivious to the need to pay the toll by card or electronic means, expecting to pay in cash at the booths. Obviously? there will be warning signs in advance of the crossing but you can imagine the chaos & accidents caused by people pulling over on the hard shoulder to text or phone in their toll. Some idiots will no doubt try & do it still on the move.
        The nearest alternative crossing will be the Blackwell Tunnel but that will involve going into the LEZ (low emission zone) so unless you car or van is low emission compliant & exempt you will get a fine in the post for that.
        If you are taking your bikes to Marks Tey for a scramble in an old 80's Tranny van your stuffed.
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 15/04/2014, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Most people will be able to pay by credit card on the touch-on system, similar to London (amongst others) free bus passes and Oyster cards. I used this system when travelling on the M6 Toll road last year and it works well....No problem. If you are still in the dark ages and don't have a credit card, you have until the next midnight to pay at your local corner shop etc.

Comment

Standard stuff in New Zealand. Pay by phone, online, or at the services. You can even pay in advance for multiple trips. Good old ANPR.

Comment

I got that wrong Brokabolt (pay day after) but then I am still confused after having a workshop full of pests to contend with. I was also in the middle of burying the dead camera with full military honours!

Comment

Pure greed all this. Surely the best way to speed up traffic would be to do away with the tolls. The crossing must be well paid for by now.

The motorist gets stuffed again!
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                X