Tax Discs Consigned To History.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Discs Consigned To History.

I've just read this morning in the new February 2014 issue of 'Performance Bikes' that (quote);

'From this month you'll no longer be required to display a tax disc on your bike or car. The DVLA will instead operate a digital register and tax can now be paid for in monthly Direct Debit payments.'

The question now is, what can I possibly do with the 'super trick', pre preg carbon fibre, fully waterproof with stainless fastners tax disc holder I coverted for so long....sniff.... Also, what will become of my cherished 'collection' of previous tax discs....It's in a special 'album', naturally, which I polish regularly with 'Mr Sheen'....sigh....

More to the point, I won't ever be able to ever write those immortal words in finest Bic biro, passed down from generations of motorcyclists through the decades....'TAX IN POST'....

It's the thin end of the wedge, where will it all end, etc etc.....

Brian T.

Tax discs consigned to history

For the collectors among us,start collecting the freebee plastic self cling tax disc holders which car garages supply,could become sought after in the future like dealers decals are now, Just an idle thought,

Comment

Just run a perpetual "TAX IN POST" so as to attract the local coppers into checking your credentials. Or use a Guiness label....

Comment

Also change to SORN

Another important change is that SORN is now perpetual & does not need to be renewed annually if vehicle remains off the public highway.

Comment

Brian, "The question now is, what can I possibly do with the 'super trick', pre preg carbon fibre, fully waterproof with stainless fastners tax disc holder I coverted for so long.", the answer would be a GRA membership disc perhaps different colour each year? Surely someone could design it to suit. Dogsbody

Comment

Nice thinking!.....A different Moorland Blue every year?
            Last edited by Brian Catt; 06/01/2014, 09:55 AM.

Comment

New Tax Disc Legislation - CORRECTION!!!

I've just heard that that tax discs won't be scrapped until OCTOBER 2014, not February as previously reported. The info in 'PB' magazine was obviously printed in error.....I dunno, you just can't get the staff these days!

Brian T.

Comment

The way I read it, the issue of new tax discs may well stop now, but those who have them already in force will be obliged to show them until they run out, so the (31?) OCT 2014 date lines up with those issued (presumably) from 1/11/13.

Comment

Tax discs

Tax discs will cease to be issued after 1st October 2014
                  The government is changing the law in 2014 to reduce tax administration costs and burdens associated with vehicle tax.

Comment

Thanks for finding that John, it clears up the issue that seems to have been misreported in many sources.

Comment

Just been trying to renew SORN on one of my bikes, I received a reminder, after failing several times I got round to reading the their website properly, SORN now lasts indefinitely. This should make life easier for people with a shed load of projects!

If your vehicle has a SORN which is due to expire, this has now been made indefinite. If you need to tax your vehicle, please use your V5C Registration Certificate (log book) as your tax reminder (V11) has been made invalid by this change.

Comment

Sorn

The DVLA web page re SORN https://www.gov.uk/register-sorn-sta...d-notification

Comment

Thanks for alerting me to the SORN changes John. Think they were effective from 16th Dec last if I remember correctly. I've checked on line and my bikes show 'SORN in place' now as opposed to SORN expires xx/xx/xxxx. I just presume we will receive no more reminders - about time too for such a bl**dy silly necessity!

Comment

Tax dics consigned to history.

Yes John, thanks for starting this thread to bring to bring these changes to everyone's attention.

Brian.

Comment

Working...
                            X