Not a Greeves...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a Greeves...

My experience with the Tri-Greeves - which hasn't turned up of course - has whetted my appetite for hybrids despite having very poor memories of a Norton/Enfield back in the 1970s. So I've gone for a BSA B25 rolling chassis with a Suzuki DRZ400 installed. Looks like a nice tidy machine although will need some fettling....

I was considering a CCM SR40 which uses the same engine but potential sellers don't seem to want to part with them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0279.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	558.6 KB
ID:	98449

Name:	IMG_0300.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	555.8 KB
ID:	98450

That should be lively, Ian! It has good brakes, an excellent chassis, so what's not to like? Apart from the monstrous radiator, and the bizarre handlebar position, that is....!

Comment

At least heat from radiator will keep your legs warm.

Comment

It does look quite well executed although I agree about the radiators & handlebars - the latter easy enough to change, the former I'm probably stuck with. Interestingly it has a right foot gearchange with what looks like a crossover shaft, and very odd footrest arrangements. The seller is bringing it to me today.........

Comment

Have you seen it in the metal, or is it an on-line purchase, Ian?

Comment

The kind seller brought it to me today Ian (at a cost of course). It is as good as the pics and I think well put together although a number of niggles to sort out - one of which is my pet hate, notchy and rough control cables. Probably an order to Venhill to get the materials to make new ones. It started up willingly and sounds very nice with no rattles etc although the exhaust note through the BSA silencer is on the strident side...

I found it on a facebook group. I've previously been wary of FB but bought both the Greeves and the pile of Triumph spares there with no issues. I find that if I speak to the person on the phone I can get a good idea of them. This bloke was obviously of a similar vintage to myself and we were able to chat very easily. I gave him a ?200 deposit before seeing the bike and the remainder when he got here. Both of us happy with the transaction I think.

Comment

That sounds good, Ian. I can imagine the exhaust note may be a tad, erm, antisocial?! With luck, you will never need to touch the engine.

Comment

It has rather odd rear suspension units which I haven't seen before. They have a schrader valve on the top and no provision for preload adjustment. Anybody any ideas?

Name:	suspension.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	393.7 KB
ID:	98486
                Attached Files

Comment

They are fitted upside down, which is not a problem; maybe to give access to the schrader valves. Cheaper aftermarket shocks may not have preload adjustment. Question is, are they air or gas filled, and at what pressure? Do they seem to work ok? A call to the vendor would seem prudent. Alternatively you could get a set of original Girling-style Wassel ones c/w preload adjustment. https://www.feked.com/bsa-b25-c25-shock-absorbers.html

Comment

The PO told me to leave them alone. Mind you I don't think he was particularly mechanically minded although a nice bloke. I'll try and get a picture of the label which may lead to finding out who made them and get some proper information. Plenty to tinker with in the meantime.

Comment

Working...
                    X