Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More legislation on the way from Brussels!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More legislation on the way from Brussels!!

From MAG recently, which seems to involve more legislation from people who don't understand motorcycles...

A warning from FEMA - Brussels Threat to Trailies
    Dual purpose bikes could disappear from the market due to new type approval rules from
    Brussels, the Federation of European Motorcyclists Associations has warned.
    If the European Commission refuses to allow an ABS turn-off switch when the technology
    becomes compulsory on models over 125cc in 2013, bikes will effectively become unusable
    on dirt or gravel because the brakes won’t work.
    This threatens dual purpose machines such as Yamaha’s Tenere and BMW’s GS range, but
    especialy more off-road focused bikes such as Yamaha’s WR250.
    A Yamaha source said: “Our WR250 is probably one of the best road bikes which people
    can use off road. Well, they are not going to be able to use it off road because they will lose
    control. It means having to buy a bike either solely for road use or solely for off-road use but
    not both.”
    FEMA is preparing guidance

there is always more than one way to skin a cat ,I cannot believe that we as a group would not be capable of getting around such a regulation unofficial like.

Comment

Hi,
      I agree - am sure there is a way round this for modern bikes!
      The good news for Greeves though is I think it would be highly unusual for this proposed legislation (or any legislation for that matter) to be retrospective - i.e this might be a problem for a 2013 model Yam wr250.........but not for a classic trailie built in the 50's, 60's or 70's.

Reminds me to get a set of trail tyres for my Griffon - might be fun for the Scrambles off season ! - and I don't think DH, brilliant engineer though he is, will be developing an ABS system for our conical hubs ....although I wonder whether ABS would have helped with some of my off's last season !!Cheers Kim

Comment

Working...
      X