Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changes to Insurance Legislation from January 2011.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes to Insurance Legislation from January 2011.

I thought I'd post this in case some members may not have heard about as yet....

From January 2011, the Department for Transport's new 'Continuous Insurance' ruling becomes law in the UK. The ruling makes it an offence to own a motor vehicle without having valid UK insurance, including when the vehicle is off the road for restoration or repair UNLESS you have taken out Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) for the vehicle(s).

As long as the vehicle is SORN'd, you don't need insurance. However, if the vehicle is registered, taxed and MoT'd but the insurance for the vehicle has lapsed, the owner could be fined and receive penalty points. The scheme will compare DVLA data on registered keepers with the Motor Insurance Bureau database so will not have to rely on police checks.

This ruling is designed to clamp down on uninsured road users.

Brian.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 08/12/2010, 07:00 PM. Reason: Tidy up.

Insurance

I thought this issue was dead, a real nightmare if the insurance & taxing dates do not co-inside. Hopefully it is more of a threat than what will happen in reallity as not all insurance companies are linked to the DVLA data base & if prooved you had insurance DVLA could have egg on there face. I know from a recent 'fly on the wall' TV programme Emergancy Bikers the police stop drivers of vehicles that are showing as unisured on the PNC (police national computor). If the driver has an insurance certificate all is well. There is an issue here regarding Trader Policies which are non vehicle specific.

Comment

Continuous Insurance or Sorn.

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
      Hopefully it is more of a threat than what will happen in reallity as not all insurance companies are linked to the DVLA data base & if prooved you had insurance DVLA could have egg on there face.
      I'm just reporting what I know for the benefit of members. As this legislation has now been made law, personally I'd rather not take the chance, certainly if non-compliance could mean points and a fine....

Brian.

Comment

Continuous Insurance

What the DVLA say
        Rules on what motor insurance you need, what to do if you're in an accident, insurance for driving abroad, penalties for uninsured vehicles and drivers.

Outstanding queries not yet covered:
        1. will Police enter private premises to seize uninsured vehicles? Under which law?
        2. Are not laid up vehicles technically no longer road vehicles, but simply goods & chattels?
        3. Will Police be raiding vehicle restorers' premises & seizing vehicles?
        4. who will provide RTA cover for vehicles incapable of RTA use?
        5. If laid-up cover excludes normal RTA cover, will there be fines levied & vehicles seized?
        6. if laid up vehicles are included as personal posessions on home contents cover, there will be 3rd party liability cover, but not RTA cover & it won't appear on MID, so just what do they mean by insured?
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 08/12/2010, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X