1968 Cotton Scrambler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1968 Cotton Scrambler

I bought a 37A Cotton trials with 'trail' conversion last week and wondered what the conversion actually involved ....gears, tyres? My neighbour over the road passed away and he bought the bike from new for $360 !!! It has had very little use and for the last 10 years was displayed in his front room. I cleaned the carb, lubed the cables, changed the spark plug, new fluids and it fired up like a champ. I have the original invoice from E Cotton Gloucester signed by M C Denley that says there were 4 of these bikes imported in 1 job lot to a motorcycle dealer in Selah, Washington, USA from the factory in England in June 1968. I have the engine numbers and frame numbers and would love to find a photo showing how they looked originally back in the day. Are these bikes rare? I plan on riding it at the American Historic Racing Motorcycle Association (ARHMA) events next summer. Any other info would be very helpful.

Thank you in advance for your help
    Attached Files

Nice Cotton!

Hi Paul, and congratulations on your latest aquisition-what a lovely original bike and in such great condition!

Here's a link to the Cotton Owner's and Enthusiasts Club; http://www.cottonownersclub.com/

I reckon it'd be well worth putting a post on their 'guestbook' and see if anyone can give you any more info. In any event, I bet those guys would love to see it!

Hope this helps,

Brian.

Comment

Paul,
      You might wish to try Fluff Brown who was a Cotton Works rider and became their Development Manager until the Company closed. He currently owns the AJS name and the AJS Stormer is based on the old Starmaker-engined Cotton Cougar.

The forks on your bike are unusual, the majority of post-war Cottons had Armstrong leading-link forks or telescopics.
      John A - 268

Comment

Well spotted John, and thanks-I missed those forks! At first glance I thought they were Armstrong units until you pointed that out.

Interesting units aren't they, a kind of cross between the type fitted to DOTs (based on the Earls design) but with a kind of Greevesy rear loop....Does anyone recognise them?

Brian.

Comment

Thank you for your replies. The Cotton Owners Club came up with alot of very useful info and I now have an idea what the bike looked like originally when new (mine is remarkably unchanged).

I have also attached an extract from a magazine showing a very nice Cotton trials and a BSA.
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X