MoT Exemption coming into effect 20th May 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MoT Exemption coming into effect 20th May 2018

I have just downloaded the latest version of the V112 "Declaration of exemption from MoT" from the DVLA website. The exemption for vehicles more then 40 years old is now included on the form - and of course comes into effect tomorrow.

The exemption applies to any vehicle registered or manufactured 40 years ago and which has not been substantially changed in the last 30 years.

"Substantially changed" means a vehicle where the technical characteristics of the main components have changed in the last 30 years.

"Substantially changed" is not specifically defined for motorcycles, but machines assembled from parts of different makes or models, including "reconstructed classics" are not exempt.

Next time you tax your 40-year old vehicle, you will need to do so at a post office and you will have to take a completed V112 (or a current MoT!) with you. And an insurance certificate as well. You'll also need the V5C or a V11 reminder.

However, if your vehicle is already registered as a "historic vehicle", you can claim the exemption and tax it online.

Don't forget that you will need to claim the exemption for all vehicles more than 40 years old - including those that are currently exempt by reason of being pre-1960.

Note: I've started this new thread on the topic because the original one is lengthy and not now 100% accurate or relevant
    Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 23/05/2018, 06:43 AM. Reason: Updated advice
    Colin Sparrow

Here is the pdf to download & print off the form
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 19/05/2018, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Thanks Colin and John - most helpful

Comment

How do we stand if our current MoT runs out before our tax? Do we have to MoT it because the existing tax is still running? If so, a way round it could be to cancel the tax; ie SORN it; then immediately apply for a new tax under the new rules......?

Comment

Mot

Hello Colin
          I have normally taxed my vehicles on line. Will I now have to get the above forms and go to a post office?

Comment

MOT requirement

Ian C - my reading of the DVLA website is that a vehicle does not need an MOT from the 40th anniversary of its first registration. The example given is for a vehicle first registered on 31st May 1978 which will not need an MOT from 31st May 2018. So my Scottish first registered on 20th September 1961 no longer needs an MOT (and as a Historic Vehicle there is no cost for Road Tax!) so my existing MOT has become redundant.
            Last edited by 350biker; 20/05/2018, 11:43 PM.
            Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

I don't presume to be the fount of all knowledge on this, so forgive me if I turn out to be wrong, however:

Ian: I have five vehicles more than forty years old. I'm intending to wait until the tax runs out on each of them and then tax them at that time at a post office with a V112. If I'm pulled in the meantime I will simply say that the vehicle is more than 40 years old, registered as a historic vehicle, and I that will claim the exemption next time I tax it.

Only thing is, though, it is possible that an insurance company might take a dim view of that approach...

Actually Ian, your SORN and re-tax is a pretty good wheeze - I might end up doing that. My Triumph TR5T is on SORN because the MoT ran out in March and I'm going to tax that from 1st June.

Mike: You must go to the post office the first time you tax it after 20th May and claim the exemption in person with a V112. I believe that once the exemption is accepted it will find its way onto the DVLA computer and in later years you will be able to tax it online. There may of course be a tick box to reconfirm your exemption; we'll see.
              Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 21/05/2018, 08:09 AM.
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

I had to SORN my bike last week has I had a final reminder. I am going to the post office today to get it taxed so I will let you know how I get on.

Comment

V112 forms

Spoke to the DVLA this morning about this. My MOT expires 1st June and retax date is 1st December. No MOT needed between these dates and when I retax on line the screen form will have a box to tick to confirm the bike is exempt from MOT requirements ie not modified etc, just like the V112 form. I wait to see how people go on currently to see if the form has been modified already online. But according to what I was told this morning no visit to the Post Office required if the vehicle is already in the Historic Vehicle category. PO visit is needed (or write with docs etc to DVLA) to get your vehicle changed to Historic from any other category.

Comment

Well done that man!

I just had a bash at taxing the Triumph online, but it offers to tax it from 1st May - which is before the exemption applied of course. I stopped there to save it looking for a non-existent MoT.

I'll try again on June 1st.
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

I have a Triumph Trophy 250 which was last MOT'd several years ago and has been on SORN. I just went to the DVLA online site and it showed a MOT exemption declaration screen before allowing me to tax it from 1st May.
                      No problem!
                      --
                      AndyB

Comment

Retaxing from 1st June

Colin - it will be interesting to hear from anybody who tries to tax a bike which is already taxed i.e a current tax expiring on 31st May, to see if their form on line allows for the MOT not being required.

Regards

24TD118

Sorry was typing this before I saw AndyB's posting. Seems like it might be sorted on line, well done the DVLA.
                        Last edited by 350biker; 21/05/2018, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Sounds like I was one click from where I needed to be

Still folks, AndyB's established that vehicles registered as "Historic Vehicle" can be taxed on line from the word "go".

And 350biker has confirmed that you don't need to claim your exemption until you next have to tax the vehicle.

This discussion and its conclusions is one of the reasons I started the thread in the first place...
                          Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 21/05/2018, 08:18 PM. Reason: more thoughts
                          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hmmm

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
                            I have a Triumph Trophy 250 which was last MOT'd several years ago and has been on SORN. I just went to the DVLA online site and it showed a MOT exemption declaration screen before allowing me to tax it from 1st May.
                            No problem!
                            --
                            AndyB
                            I've done the same for my 1976 Honda 400/4 and no such luck. Was your Triumph already classed as a historic vehicle for road tax purposes?

I think Colin has answered my question re classed as historic. I guess I need to change my Honda to 'historic' at the aforementioned post office.
                            Last edited by Soggy Welly; 21/05/2018, 05:55 PM. Reason: should have read previous post

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy Welly View Post
                              Was your Triumph already classed as a historic vehicle for road tax purposes?

I think Colin has answered my question re classed as historic. I guess I need to change my Honda to 'historic' at the aforementioned post office.
                              Yes, my Triumph had already been reclassified as 'Historic' some time ago.
                              You can just take your V5c to a Post Office and they should be able to send it to Swansea to get it changed and tax it for you at the same time.
                              --
                              AndyB

Comment

Working...
                              X