A Letter from the DVLA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Letter from the DVLA

A letter you dont want to receive. Apparently the DVLA are sending out letters to owners of Historic Vehicles that they (the DVLA) have suspicions of as not being 'kosher'. It would appear that this mainly concerns kit & vintage replica cars that have been highly modified or fitted with non original or more modern parts. but still using original registration number & date to qualify for nil Historic tax. However it may concern bikes that have been substantially modified including Tri Greeves, the one recently on eBay taxed as a Triumph is a prime example. Whilst I dont see the change of engine alone being a problem, the fitting of say different forks & wheels may 'tip the balance' & the DVLA no longer accepting it as Historic status.
    Looks like any such vehicles may end up with the dreaded 'Q' plate. Not the sort of registration you would want to end up with on your ex works ISDT bike!!
    The following article is from Practical Classics car magazine

Maybe they should check their records on BSA Gold Star frame numbers, there are several riding around on duplicate frame numbers! You still see old logbooks being sold on ebay, one for a Vincent went for silly money recently. Here's another suspect project, I notice it's even the same seller. He makes a living out of selling Vincent logbooks!

What this also should cut down is kit car people who remove chassis plates from old Cortinas, put them on a brand new kit car chassis and use the old log book from the Cortina! That way they don't need to bother with any safety testing on the new kit car.

Just a final point, I know of several "brand new" series one Land Rovers in my area, running modern Isuzu engines and paying zero road tax and no Mot needed!
    Last edited by Andy Z; 11/11/2015, 09:51 AM.

Comment

In the bike world 'Odgie' who writes for Real Classic has built a number of 'vintage bobbers' using old engines in a new build frame with an old registration. One he built, the 'Zenster' is registered as a 1920 BSA registration number BF 5101 & frame number T-2158. Now that is taking the 'P' with the DVLA.

Comment

One rule for them, another rule for others. I had a Rudge a few years back, which was fitted with the wrong engine, a 350. I built up a correct 500cc engine for it, and when I send the logbook to the DVLA for an engine change they sent it back saying I needed an engineers report, a report from the manufacturer () and an independant inspection of the frame and engine numbers. Hah! Lucky I built my TriBSA years ago, as no doubt that would be under suspicion too!

Comment

As usual, it looks likes the innocent end up being targetted whilst the crooks get away with it. The 2 bikes I have had original numbers recovered were both complete bikes with evidence, not collections of bits. The third one had an age related number and also the original logbook which seemed a bit strange but probably was due to the period when numbers could not be recovered. I sent the V5 and a copy of the logbook to the DVLA and they sent back a new V5 with the original number within a week!

I have always found the DVLA very helpful, one of the other bikes was processed within a week too. I believe transferring chassis plates on cars such as MG's to 'make them earlier' and get historic status, free tax and classic insurance is quite common. Hopefully, it will be these fiddlers that get their collars felt but I very much doubt it. They will be too busy trying to get us to provide proof from manufacturers that packed up before the war!

Comment

Dodgy motors

As an MOT tester i believe it is my responsibility to refuse to MOT a vehicle which i believe to be ' put together' to match the details on the V5.
            I see many such bikes using old log books with modern engines and a home made frame all stamped up to suit. I have also seen Greeves bikes with no number on the frame and a modern engine fitted.
            It is knowing the difference between some one trying to pull one and someone quite legitimately building a speicial.
            My fellow testers simply dont have a clue, its just a job!

Comment

Thats sums it up a treat, its a pity there are not more like you, i should love to know how the brand new Dots and Bantams that are prevalent in today's trials and used on the road get through !!!!!!!!!!! .????

Comment

Another example blatant cloning http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1953-Royal...YAAOSwiwVWSEke
                A 1953 RE Bullet with a later Crusader frame. Frame number 5262 from the 1953 Bullet presumably.

Comment

Working...
                X