Bonhams at Stafford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonhams at Stafford

Is the economy flat? At the auction today you could be persuaded to the contrary. A Vincent for £275,900, a Brough for £147,100 another at £138,140 and a Velo Thruxton for £24,150. Some prices were right, others barmy but it is obviously a case of one man's meat is another man's poison. I would never pay over £6k for an Ariel Arrow Sports but it probably cost more than that for the restoration, so who can say what is right.
    Dogsbody

And as you have already posted elswhere the 5 Greeves scramblers made very little money.
    lot 361 1961 Hawkstone £1495
    lot 362 1969 Griffon 250 £2415
    lot 363 1969 Griffon 380 £2070
    lot 364 1961 Hawkstone £1265
    lot 365 1965 Challenger MX2 £1380
    Old nails & basket cases have made more on eBay. These were genuine bikes. Greeves are obviously not the 'flavor of the month'

Comment

auction price

I collected them as i like the design and engineering and they are easy to restore also the first brittish bike i ever owned at the age of 13
      Last edited by greeves246; 26/04/2015, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
        And as you have already posted elswhere the 5 Greeves scramblers made very little money.
        lot 361 1961 Hawkstone £1495
        lot 362 1969 Griffon 250 £2415
        lot 363 1969 Griffon 380 £2070
        lot 364 1961 Hawkstone £1265
        lot 365 1965 Challenger MX2 £1380
        Old nails & basket cases have made more on eBay. These were genuine bikes. Greeves are obviously not the 'flavor of the month'
        I had a good look at them. They were "all there" but had obviously been in storage for a while and needed work. The Griffon prices were about right, the Hawkstones not far out but I'm surprised the Challenger didn't fetch a little bit more.

Those are hammer prices of course, a buyer would also be looking at the commission on top of that.
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Colin, The prices quoted included buyers premium. Dogsbody

Comment

prices

Another thing we have to consider is its right before a election ! so people may be a bit prudent in spending not knowing the outcome
            Last edited by greeves246; 27/04/2015, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Other than Vincent Black Shadows, most bikes seem to be cheaper at auctions like Bonhams than ebay. Ebay reaches a far wider audience. I haven't looked at this year's results, but there were some right bargains last year.

Comment

Auction prices

As I said in my previous comment, there appears to be a huge difference in prices achieved for various makes. Vincent, Brough & other 'exotics' have always been high but other grey porridge bikes like Bantams, Fanny Barnetts & of course early jap stuff has been creaping up, all except Greeves. I think it may be that the buyers are mainly road bike orientated & comp bikes, except for those with a 'works /famous rider' history dont appeal to the 'investment' buyer. Very few of those Vincents & Broughs will ever be ridden.
                As an aside there were very few bikes in the Cheffins Auction at Cambridge last Saturday & no Greeves. The higest price paid was £21800 for a 1936 BSA J12/Swallow sidecar outfit owned by 'Uncle Jim' whoever he was http://www.cheffins.co.uk/lot/-1141613-vintage-0 and at the lower end a 125 1950 Bantam trials "in working clothes" made £2350 http://www.cheffins.co.uk/lot/-1141618-vintage-0 Prices on cars & commercials were well down, so maybe as Greeves246 says, there is a reflectancy for people to open their wallets with the impending election
                Last edited by John Wakefield; 27/04/2015, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Bonhams Auction

It was a topsy turvy auction , i watched it on line also, was it you 246 who bought the griffons?, from what i could see, it would seem that there are a lot of investors who are using this to make money as interest rates are so bad, most bikes that were sold were also purchased only a few years ago! and severall were sold by Bonhams them.

I think Greeves bikes are better sold through e bay or the club as it was obvious , there were not many off road collectors bidding, a shame as there were below £3,000 some good deals to be had on modern road bikes as well

Comment

Working...
                  X