Its dangerous out there on the roads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its dangerous out there on the roads

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Au?erdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 06/10/2014, 10:19 PM.

You have to wonder what the guy with the axe on his bike was on his way to do?

Comment

Obviously a Forestry Comission worker.....

Comment

Dangerous

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
        Too much of that stuff on youtube. The real thing is better. Way back in 1959 I was thrashing my Triumph Speed Twin down the A23 to Brighton. Just about where the "welcome to Brighton" obelisks are I hit a rut and the bike went into a massive speed wobble. I hung on but the wobble sent me across the road where I passed a car going the other way ... on his nearside. Never forgot the staring eyes of that driver.
        Good old sprung hub Triumphs were not exactly known for avoiding speed wobbles.
        I'm still here ... just!!!
        But it's what we did. The absolute worst ever wobbly bike was my Vincent Comet. Dreadful bike.
        Unless of course you know one better???

Comment

Thing is Keith its more about the idiots who 'dont see a bike' & turn across in front of you or pull out from a side turning. Having been victim of a car driver who decided to do a U turn out of a queue of stationary traffic whilst I was filtering passed there is not much you can do to avoid that sort of bad driving. OK the majority of the clips in the U Tube video are taken in foreign countries where the standard of driving is appalling, but it does happen on our roads. Its amazing how many riders got up & walked away after apparently serious incidents.

Comment

Dangerous!

Yep. I collided with a blind car driver that looked straight at me an STILL pulled out of a café on the A38. I hit him on his offside rear wheel an then suffered the ... sky..road..sky effect until I hit the deck at bout 30mph.
            Guess what ... he drove off. Mind you my bike has a white fairing and I had a white helmet.
            I rode the bike home with the handlebars at about 45 degrees from normal. That one did hurt.

I suppose my best ever tumble was when I was a very new rider on my first bike, a Francis Barnett Falcon. It was night and I rode a bit quick down a steep hill with a sharp bend at the bottom. I panicked and for some reason pulled in the clutch. The revs died, as did the lights, I finished up in a field with the bike buried in a muddy ditch. Hmm.

Comment

Dangerous

Having had many near misses I now do not filter and am always on guard when I see a car waiting at junctions.But there again when out on the bike I having nothing to do and all day to do it in.

Comment

Dangerous.

Just realised, no offence to the trials boys, you are often falling off in the mud. It's us roadies that are supposed to stay on the black stuff.

I drive defensively, have done for years. Always assume that that car is going to come out. It helps a bit.

And ... don't ride a R1 Yam if you are over 70. Not without outriggers!!! Lol

Best of all, get a sidecar.

Comment

Heres a little tale, of a very lucky biker.
                  During my previous life as a trucker, you got to see most things, & peoples driving/riding stupidity new no bounds, but this particular guy did nothing wrong.
                  I was fully loaded, coming past reading services at night, it was fairly quiet, when i saw this chopper coming down the slip road,& out into the same lane.
                  as i was flat out i checked my mirrors to change lane, give the guy a bit of room, then i saw his back wheel lock up & he lost control & was slowing down rapidly, the bike lurched to the left, then right, then thankfully left again, which flicked him off the carrageway just as i was going through.
                  It all happened in the blink of an eye, & was fate decided in his favour that night, lucky rider.

Comment

Here's another.....

Back in 1972 (when I was twelve years old), I was out cycling on a country lane in Leicestershire with two American friends from school. I was tail end Charlie, so when the lunatic came round the blind bend doing 70 mph (in a 30) it was me that he hit.

I suffered a near total traumatic amputation of my left leg (just a small flap of skin at the back connecting it to the rest of my leg), fractured skull in three places, jaw broken in five places and multiple abrasions and contusions.

I didn't walk again for three and a half years.

Five very painful operations later, and thanks to the great skill and belief of a wonderful man (thank you forever Mr Dickie, RIP), despite all the other doctors saying he was wasting his time, I took my first wobbly step again. I remember the floor felt very cold under my foot.

It left me (technically) 25% permanently disabled, not that I have ever acknowledged it, with a curved spine due to refusing to wear the raised boot I was supposed to, due to my leg now being over an inch shorter than my 'good' leg. At least you all know where my 'brain damage' comes from now....

My mum bought me my very first leather jacket while I was still in a wheelchair, and Paul (we are still firm friends to this day) from MCA in Leicester made a special trip out to our home in the van so I could try a selection on. Brave lady my dear old mom was, but she was determined to give me something to hope for....

I've ridden bikes ever since.....currently 1,400 plus miles a month, every day, all weathers, year round, plus trackdays, testing, running in demo bikes etc etc....including R1's....

At least I completely destroyed the b*****ds Marcos, which he and his girlfriend (who he was showing off too) walked away from without a scratch....Compensation? £1,500, but I can WALK (and type, sadly.....)

Brian. (another very lucky boy.)
                    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 08/10/2014, 08:04 AM. Reason: Spalling....!

Comment

Brian if this was top trumps mate..... i think you won!........

Comment

Respect, Brian. You've kept that lot under your hat!

Comment

Dangerous!

Flippin 'eck Brian, makes my little tumbles seem nothing.

Total respect for your determination.

Brilliant!!!

Comment

Wow, cap well & truly doffed.
                            And, as a parent much respect to your Mum as well.

Colin

Comment

hi i was going to tell of the reason i took up sidecars 45 years ago , but brian you beat me hands down only 1 year in hospital and another learning to walk again, makes me look a wimp ,but like you i am still riding and competing in trials it would be great to meet you sometime ,we could compare limps, will

Comment

Working...
                              X