Monty Banks tips - LL Aug 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monty Banks tips - LL Aug 2014

I read with interest the article on tips from the late Monty Banks (LL Aug 2014), whilst there are some good tips there, the one about replacing the rim tape on wheels with adhesive tape has since been proved dangerous. Some years ago I recall a member the Cambridge Matchless MCC (Brian Stonebridge's home club) who had a sudden 'blow out' on his 350 Matchless trials bike. On inspecting the inner tube it was found to be clearly cut by the electrical type adhesive tape he had used instead of a conventional rim tape. Presumably he had read Monty's original article in The Motor Cycle. From that point on he went back to the correct rubber rim tape.

Rim tape bad tip

I note that Colin has put a bit in Oct LL warning against this tip by Monty Banks but the reason it should not be used is not to do with spoke nipples breaking through, or water retention causing rust, but due to the edges of the tape acting like a sharp blade and cutting into inner tube. Hard to believe but its true, a bit like cutting your finger on a sheet of paper.

Comment

I think Monty would have been referring to the fabric based tape. That's what we used to use 'back in the day' without any problems.

Comment

Working...
      X