Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Save Mildenhall Stadium (Fen Tigers Speedway)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save Mildenhall Stadium (Fen Tigers Speedway)

The stadium is facing a court injuction to severely limit events, due to a recent Supreme Court decision in favour of a couple who purchased a property 500 yards beyond the stadium in 2006. Speedway and stock car had been operating since 1975.

There is an online petition to try and overrule this which has local residents support. The fen tigers website has a direct link to the govt e petition if you would like to add you support.

As you will see this explains the affect this ruling could have on ALL leisure activities, not just sporting ones! And calls for a change in the law.
    http://www.mildenhallfentigers.co.uk

Many Thanks Rob Dickerson
    Punchy 336

Another case of 'nimby-ism', why did these people move there knowing full well there was already an established speedway stadium there. Frankly I would not have thought a court would rule in their favour. Likewise if you moved next to a railway station you would not to get the line closed. Crazy situation, but I assume those protesting have plenty of money available to throw at a court case. Sadly I doubt whether a petition from speedway supporters will carry much weight as the majority will not live in the area & therefore will be deemed as not relevant objections. Best of luck anyway.

Comment

Thanks for your comments John.
      I understand they have the support of locals mp's and speedway does now have a parliamentary members board which this has gone to aswell.
      Naturally the stadium owner stands to loose a lot as does the local employees approx 50 I understand in their various capacities. The stock car and greyhound fraternity which use the site also have their petitions aswell so you never now the more the merrier
      Punchy 336

Comment

As John said, the Nimby fraternity is all too prevalent. This problem is widespread, not only in the realms of fixed venues like stadiums and race circuits, but also in temporary venues. My Motor Club has used a long-standing temporary venue that we use 3 to 4 times a year without problems, but one of the associated land-owners has got greedy and allowed a permanent "Drift School" to be set up and operate on his parcel of land.
        With the success of this meaning that cars were making both exhaust and tyre noise EVERY DAY, it was a recipe for complaints. The Council stepped in and investigated, so all users of the area, including our club, are tarred with the same brush, and under threat of closure. I might add that the Police, the Fire Brigade and under 17s use the same area that we do, but only on an occasional basis.
        This is a parallel to other cases including established race circuits, where the owner has exceeded their planning allocations, this almost guaranteeing Council action after complaints from the public. Nimby they might be, but in a lot of cases, there is some justification in their actions.

Comment

Quote:
          As you will see this explains the affect this ruling could have on ALL leisure activities, not just sporting ones! And calls for a change in the law.
          http://www.mildenhallfentigers.co.uk

Many Thanks Rob Dickerson[/QUOTE]

Hi Rob, I'd heard about the situation at Mildenhall on the local radio station some time back, when the costs to the stadium of defending the case then were in excess of £15k, I hadn't realised that it was still ongoing!
          I've read the petition, which seems very sensible in my view. I'm not a local, but as it has national relevance and calls for a change in the law then I am confident my vote would still be counted.
          I have great sympathy for the case which Brian describes where a daily disturbance has subsequently been developed beyond that which was previously accepted. However, that does not appear to be the case in question with regard to the Mildenhall stadium where the established pastimes have been practised for many years and long before the complainants moved in.
          We suffered a similar plight down at Maylandsea(there's been a scramble track there since 1952), when a "new" couple moved into the village and began complaining about the noise being made on three Sundays in a year! It was very unsettling for the landowner as well as ourselves and we were in danger of losing it because of the unpleasantness and bad feeling caused. Fortunately the couple eventually moved on and things have quietened down. But it does seem so wrong for only one or two people to spoil the pleasure of so many when all you have to do is to check out the area before moving in. After all isn't that would any sensible person would do? So I have little sympathy for the couple in question at Mildenhall and signed the petition. I would ask anyone reading this page to follow the link above and read the petition. Should they agree, then to sign it also. Good luck Mildenhall and the Fen Tigers. Long may you continue to roar!

Comment

It wa ever thus.

Comment

The call for the change in the law is the only left recourse for the stadium to pursue

I understand The couple were indeed aware of the activities at the stadium as testified by the affidavits of the Estate Agent selling the property and their own solicitors!

The injuction will leave the stadium with just 12 meetings a year, meaning it'll no longer be viable. A venue that provides recreation for a large number of participants an spectators alike and local employment will be lost.

This decision sets a " legal precedent" in law and so I assume any other subsequent recreational activity that is taken to court will suffer the same outcome.

Thanks
              Punchy 336

Comment

Working...
              X