The future of Classic Bike Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The future of Classic Bike Shows

I have recently posted the following on the IKBA (previously Real Classic)forum http://www.realclassic.co.uk/messageswide.html & it got a lot of replies, for those who dont go on IKBA I have re-posted it here for further comments.

Reading the report & looking at the photos of the 33rd Carol Nash Bristol Classic Motorcycle Show in OBM March issue it was clear that the average age of exhibitors & guests was well on the wrong side of 60. Do these shows have a future if youngsters are not coming into the classic bike movement? What will happen in a few years time when us old codgers have passed on? What can be done to encourage youngsters? The line up of ageing 'stars from the passed' does not encourage the younger element.

Nothing you can do john, you have been brought up on greeves & pursued your interest in that type of motorcycle, & like yourself, the youth of today will latch on to the type of motorcycle, that they are introduced to & follow that through their lives.
    Its just a natural progression, as for future shows, well whatever is on show will still be regarded as classics, just not our sort of classics. dave.

Comment

Demise of Motorcycling

More worrying is the decline in motorcycling generally, not just classic bikes. As with other more affluent societies, the richer we become the better vehicle we want - the car. That coupled with the difficulty of getting a full licence is enough to put any young person off motorbikes.

Comment

The future of bike shows (and bikes)

Originally posted by tony View Post
        More worrying is the decline in motorcycling generally, not just classic bikes. As with other more affluent societies, the richer we become the better vehicle we want - the car. That coupled with the difficulty of getting a full licence is enough to put any young person off motorbikes.
        Your right their Tony, the only bikes that are being sold these days are cheap Chinese twist & go 50cc scooters. A couple of years use till they are old enough to get a car provisional licence, no interest whatever in motorcycling as we know it. Sales of modern 'resin rockets' are declining as the 'born again' 1980's bikers have now got older (or killed themselves), lots of traditional bike shops have sold up, gone bust or now only sell scooters.
        With the increasing legislation & expense to get a bike licence this situation will not improve.
        As far as off road competitions (trials, scrambles & road racing) I am sure the interest will continue in the classic side of this until such time as bikes become too expensive to maintain or buy. This is already happening with trials with so called 'trick' bikes being built using a lightweight replica frame with much modded engines. What started off as cheap clubman type events has now attracted those with deep pockets who by modifying the bikes out of all recognition have brought the cost of competing up to modern bike levels.
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 04/03/2013, 05:35 PM. Reason: Off road bit added

Comment

Think we might have seen the best days! There seems to be concern over the cost of racing and what will happen to club events. A 2 day Brands entry is £300 and just to parade is close on £200. Unless we find some sponsorship, we will be sticking to trials this year!

Which leads me to notice classic events are gradually disappearing - looks like the Frank Jones has gone for one. Other erstwhile suitable events have now been toughened up to suit the hordes of £XXXX shiny twinshocks!

Never mind, there are still a few good trials around. Last year's Perce Simon, Downland and Jack Thompson to name but 3.

Speaking to younger enthusiasts, the majority seem to think we are mad persevering with oily, unreliable, vibrating heaps! Mind you, when I ride my Honda 4, I think they might have a point.

Time to get on and finish the TES-based ISDT rep before trials tyres are banned on the road or Moorland Blue is considered an 'offensive' colour under EU law!

Comment

Moorland blue !!!

dont get me started on the EU i vote ukip and love it with avengence

Comment

Working...
            X