Motocross oddities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motocross oddities

Following on from Brian Catts excellent Maico prototype post, I came across an article that may be of interest to any budding entrepreneurs out there... see http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/N...AS-O-3031.aspx

Paul

Some interesting ideas there. Incidently, Eric Cheney made his own version of the Ribi forks for a while.
    I remember the hilarious antics of a Rokon Enduro bike being tested in Wales. It was difficult to start on your own, and tried to run away from you if you gave any throttle while pulling the string........

Comment

More Odd Balls!

Hi Paul, Brian,

Great thread Paul, good find! Amazing what's been tried at one time or another isn't it. I love all this wacky experimental stuff!

Incidently, for anyone that hasn't seen it there's more on this thread about the Cheney and Ribi leading link forks that Brian mentions above, along with lots of other unusual 'creations'; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=2238

I used to love looking at the pics and stories in the American off-road mags back in the seventies. 'DirtBike' was my favourite, but I remember seeing the occasional 'MXA' too. Along with my mates, who ran mostly Japanese trailies at the time, they fueled our dreams until we were old enough to get bikes. We'd buy 'em cheap and do 'em up with 'Preston Petty' plastics et al, as we'd seen in the ads. We were lucky that MCA (Motorcycle Accessories) in Leicester used to stock stuff like that, along with Jofarma enduro gloves (best I ever had!) and Sidi MX boots. I still have my first pair somewhere in the garage, with Joel Robert's signature on them, the very same as seen being worn by one of the biker gang in the film 'Mad Max'.

It was interesting to see how much experimentation was going on in that period, as the article in Paul's post shows! MX (and off-road in general) seems to attract it in a way, even encourage it. I think the huge dirt bike market in the states at the time contributed as well, and this certainly seemed to carry over to the aftermarket/accessory companies like Preston Petty, JT and all the rest.

Seeing that article certainly took me back Paul. Nice one!

Brian.

Comment

Hi Brian and Brian, interesting stuff particularly the adjustable Hodaka foot rests coming loose as I am fabricating some folding pegs for my challenger.

I did see a bright yellow Rokon enduro for sale last year and was powered by a snowmobile engine which helps explain the pull starter cord and no shift lever.

Cheers Paul

Comment

Working...
        X