Wassell copies of Amal carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wassell copies of Amal carbs

Bit surprised that Wassell have got away with making what are blatent Chinese copies of the Amal concentric carb. Also surprised that Burlin have not as yet challenged them as they were quick to do on pattern Amal spares in their adverts a year or so back. I note Wassell have got a 'testimonial' from Neville Lewis he who used to own Surrey Cycles & respected expert on all things carburation!!

As i understand it, if the patent or who holds the patent rights has not registered it world wide, then i think, anyone outside of these guidelines can reproduce copies, without license. & to be honest, the crap service, i`ve had lately, from b/fuels, then it couldn`t happen to a nicer firm.

Comment

Hi all,

I have just got a wassell 932 for my 360 challenger, I got mine from tds services for a very reasonable £80.

I have dismantled the carb because I wanted to check the quality, I am very impressed with it!! It has an adjustable ethanol proof float, metal fuel drain, metal fuel unions etc, and the casting quality is just as good if not better than the genuine Amal I got from surrey cycles 5 years ago.

I am yet to run the bike, but the 360 should be ready for battlesbridge.

I will let you all know what it's like.

Scotty151

Comment

Originally posted by scott151 View Post
        Hi all,

I have just got a wassell 932 for my 360 challenger, I got mine from tds services for a very reasonable £80.

I have dismantled the carb because I wanted to check the quality, I am very impressed with it!! It has an adjustable ethanol proof float, metal fuel drain, metal fuel unions etc, and the casting quality is just as good if not better than the genuine Amal I got from surrey cycles 5 years ago.

I am yet to run the bike, but the 360 should be ready for battlesbridge.

I will let you all know what it's like.

Scotty151
        Hi Scott,

Sounds like a bargain! I hadn't realised they were doing carbs for 2-strokes too.
        The article in the VMCC mag listed a few carbs, but they all had a fixed bush in the pilot jet - does your one have a removable jet?

Cheers,
        Andrew

Comment

Wassell Carbs

I think they cannot be challenged because 50 years has elasped since the first Amal Concentric was produced! A friend has fitted one and its all good so far.

Comment

Hi all,

Andy what do you mean by a fixed bush?

The pilot jet is removable, as is the main jet etc.

I will see how it goes?

Has all the usuals entered marks tey? I spoke to Terry Sewell yesterday and he said he only had 24 Greeves entered!!!!???

See you all there if you have entered

Scotty

Comment

I agree with Dave's comments about Burlen's. I bought a carb from Villiers Services at Telford and when I went to fit it, the slide just rattled around in the body. Not only that, it looked like it had been bored with a blunt brick!

I measured things up and there was a good 5 thou difference between slide and body. I rang the 'Amal Technical Department' and spoke to the original Mr Grumpy. I asked for the bore/slide dimensions but he 'didn't have them to hand'. Reluctantly, he agree to take it back so Dick Faggetter kindly dropped it in the next day on his way to Shepton - he had no trouble identifying Mr Grumpy!

I waited....and waited... and waited weeks and no carb. I phoned Mr Grumpy again and he said there was nothing wrong with the carb and all sorts of wonderful things had been done to it 'as a gesture of goodwill'. It had been sent back to Villiers Services weeks before despite a note saying it was to be returned to me! When I asked what he was going to do about it, he just said it was one of those things, in other words, sort it out yourself! I rang Steve at VS who said a 'random' carb had arrived from Burlen but nothing to say why. Steve could not have been more helpful and brought it to the AGM. I stress none of this was his fault as the carb was brand new and in the box.

What did I find? Same body, same everything except they had found an oversize slide from somewhere that was a bit better. I became rather cross at this point and considered my next move . As my Anglian (for which the carb was bought) was going to be at Stafford, I produced a neat little yellow and blue sign for the bike extolling the benefits of a new Amal carb (not!). Before displaying this, I thought I would have a word with the Burlen stand at the show. A chap visited the GRA stand whilst we were discussing Amal and commented that 'they don't want to know and they don't like complaints' - my experience exactly. I also spoke to a trader selling both Amal and the new Wassell who said exactly the same thing!

So, with loins girded, I set course for Burlen. On presenting the carb, a helpful (yes, really) chap took a look at it and agreed it was a bit rough and would I like him to sort it out for me? I explained they had had it back once and only managed to lose it for me. I also gave my views on Mr Grumpy. A young lad on the stand, I think his name might have been Steve started tearing his hair out and obviously knew who I was talking about and promised to sort things out. He also promised to sort his own house out too and Mr Grumpy! Sure enough, a replacement carb was returned (to me this time) within the week.

After a battle lasting several weeks I got things sorted! To be fair to the people on the Burlen stand, they were very helpful and understanding, especially as I had been prepared for a bit of a scrap. It would appear that they had left Mr Grumpy at home, probably just as well!

Interesting to see the VMCC are also supplying the Wassell. l picked up a leaflet at Stafford and the parts list is a dead ringer for the Amal one.

It does make you wonder why someone would go to the trouble of getting a rival carb made when the market is already being met.

I wonder what the background to this product really is?

Rob

Comment

Interesting reading Rob. If you or any other members get further problems with Burlin Fuel Systems products (they do batteries as well) ring the MD Mark Burnett on 07876 282451 or email him at mark.burnett@burlen.co.uk
                (Rob, maybe you should email him a copy of your posting)
                Last edited by John Wakefield; 11/06/2012, 11:46 AM. Reason: email address added for Mark Burlin

Comment

Originally posted by scott151 View Post
                  Hi all,

Andy what do you mean by a fixed bush?

The pilot jet is removable, as is the main jet etc.

I will see how it goes?

Has all the usuals entered marks tey? I spoke to Terry Sewell yesterday and he said he only had 24 Greeves entered!!!!???

See you all there if you have entered

Scotty

Hi Scotty,

When used on many four-stokes, the Amal concentric is usually fitted with a non-removable pilot jet. Not very useful for us Greeves types!

However, if yours is removable, then it must be OK.

I will be at Mark's Tey. I wonder why there are so few entries?

Cheers,
                  Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                    After a battle lasting several weeks I got things sorted! To be fair to the people on the Burlen stand, they were very helpful and understanding, especially as I had been prepared for a bit of a scrap. It would appear that they had left Mr Grumpy at home, probably just as well!

Rob
                    When Burlen supplied me with a 4-stroke carb for my Challenger I had to return it for re-building!
                    I was lucky enough to by-pass Mr Grumpy, and spoke directly to Mark Burnett who sorted it all out, but it still took about 5 weeks from the date of the order.

If Terry Sewell is stocking the new Wassells, then for me it will be a very easy decision as to the choice of supplier!

Cheers,
                    Andrew

Comment

Differing opinion

""BTW: has anybody experience with their carbs?"
                      The feedback so far is not good. I have heard of one dealer who bought twenty pairs of these carburettors and has had major problems with them all.
                      Components look crudely finished compared with Amal parts, float levels vary widely, and jets are probably poor as some simply won't run at all, let alone properly. Given that Amal carbs have improved so much in the last few years its hard to see the point of these copies. Cheap isn't cheap if it doesn't work!!"

This quote was on the AJS-Matchless website which is a negative view of Wassell carbs. It seems it is very hard to get clear factual information on which to base your decision on which brand to purchase.

Comment

I find it hard to believe that there has been so many problems with the 'official' AMAL made ones, Rob has not been the only buyer to have had trouble. Mike Grant had trouble with a new Amal he bought for the Silverstone restoration which we mentioned on the forum some months ago. In this day & age with state af the art NC machine tools the product should be better than the originals. It seems there are many sources of these carbs. Burlin & Surrey Cycles selling the 'genuine' AMAL & now the chinese made Wassell ones, & a similar design made by JRC Engineering http://brillbikeparts.co.uk/tech.html
                        It is also not clear if Burlin actually make the parts or just assemble, but in a passed 'advertorial' in OBM I am sure it showed them being machined and assembled using the original jigs & fixtures at Burlins works in Salisbury. Burlin also 'make' the SU carbs for cars. Maybe Mark Burnett would like to come on board & put us all in the picture.
                        Last edited by John Wakefield; 11/06/2012, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X