72 Dalesman Lynx MX Bike-Help badly needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 72 Dalesman Lynx MX Bike-Help badly needed

Hello I am currently restoring a 72 Dalesman Lynx MX Bike. I am looking for any pictures,road tests,owners reports etc. I have never even seen a 72 Lynx.The only thing I have on it is a scanned brochure. Seventy one is different. I need to get pictures of the decals so I can have them made.Anyone have any bits for sale? Any help greatly appericated. Gene Shatrowsky

Hi Gene ,

You seem to have exhausted all the sites on the net .

Dalesman were imported into the US by Jeckel Industries on the East Coast .

They might still exist .

Chris

Comment

We did see a few Dalesman Enduro type bikes in the early 70's but most went to the USA, so we have no great stock of spares or even knowledge of them. My abiding memory was of a very wet weekend trail riding in Wales where I was loaned one of the first Yamaha DT 175 bikes to be brought into the UK, and Mark Williams of Bike Magazine rode the Dalesman. The Yam was faultless throughout, but the Dalesman was a real pain. Fast in a straight line, but turn the bars a little to the right and the wiring loom pulled apart, stopping the bike dead.
      We never saw the MX version, as there was no market for that size bike here.

Comment

Dalesman

The Motor Cycle did a feature on the Dalesman in the issue dated 3rd March 1973. This would have been for the UK bikes. If you want a copy contact Mortons at http://www.mortonsarchive.com/ they should have a copy in their archive

Comment

Gene ,

Did a bit more checking on Dalesman , Ron jeckel was based in Glenn Falls , New York & I believe shut down in 1974 .

However there is a Ron Jeckel & sons , a car dealer in new York , ( Google ) ,
          He may be the same guy or related .

I'm seeing the guy that ran the Dalesman set up in the UK on Thursday and will see what I can find out from him .

Chris

Comment

Ron Jeckel

Trouble is Chris thats 38 years ago if Ron Jeckel was in his early 50's in 1974 he would be in his 90's now if still alive. I tried to trace Randy Wilson the East Coast Importer but no luck. He is mentioned on The Red Knights Motorcycle Club web as being in business in 1982 site but they have know knowlede of him now.

Comment

Dalesman Lynx

Hello all and thanks for all the info you have provided.Ron Jeckel is still alive and I am told by his son Scott that he has no further interest in bikes.John, I was able to contact Morton's and get a copy of the Dalesman article. The other gentleman is unknown to me. Thanks again. Gene Shatrowsky

Comment

Gene, keep in touch with us and let us know how it goes.

Comment

Hi Gene - how are you? I found this post on the Penton Owners Group forum see link http://pentonmotorcycle.org/forum/to...?TOPIC_ID=2940 but I guess you have already seen it. Kind regards, Paul

Comment

I have to admit to having a few Dalesmen in the shed!

Comment

I visited Bill Brooker yesterday , he left Greeves to run Dalesman for Ron Jeckel of Jeckel Industries .

Yes he remembers the Lynx & has a brochure somewhere in his loft , hopefully he going to look for it soon .

Couldn't really remember the specs for the Lynx , ( he is 87 ) , but recalls it was not a particularly successful bike .

He may even have a tank badge but that is also in the loft .

The demise of Dalesman was caused by US motoring laws that said all road/enduro bikes had to have indicators, horn , lights & the lights had to work with the engine not running .

Dalesman's owners wanted all these done to conform to Federal laws but did not want to pay any more for the bikes .

The outcome was obvious .

Chris

Comment

Dalesman Lynx

Anything new on this? Still looking for pictures of a 72. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gashat View Post
                          Anything new on this? Still looking for pictures of a 72. Thanks
                          Don't know if you've already seen these pics:

Cheers,
                          Andrew

Comment

Working...
                          X