Sunbeam rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam rebuild

Although I am working on a little Greeves, my spare time is taken up wth an old 1951 Sunbeam S8. I rode this bike for a few years in all weathers then suddenly decided to restore it. It was 18 years ago and I can't remember why I made that decision.

About a week ago I started putting it back together. There isn't much wrong with it at all. It's just a bit scruffy which doesn't normally bother me too much. I loved riding the old girl because it was so well manered and always started first time. Most of the problem I come across were fixed from my scrap bin at the back of the garage.

I did buy a back wheel from a S7 which has the fat rim and tyre because my hub was ruined by the powdercoater. They blasted the threads with beadblast to the point of no-return. It looks OK, better than the 400x18 it came with.

I'll get it together then tinker it into a reasonable bike. If you want to see the progress there are a few photos. Follow the link. There will be more as the work progresses.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

The front mudguard is totaly rotton. Before I did anything I weighed it, 5.5 kilos. I stripped the paint, all 4mm of it and removed the underseal.

Then I ground out most of the rust and brazed in new metal. Filled with Lead solder (plumbers metal) and smoothed off. Filled with half a 1.5 kilo tub of fibreglass filler and ground then sanded smooth. After all that it now weighs 4.5 kilo without paint. Where did all the weight go?

Then I emptied the Hoover and there it was.

Comment

After many hours in the shed welding, grinding, filling, and sanding it's starting to look decent. The dog knocked it over so the hidden side isn't quite as good and yes the dog still lives.

Now it needs to be drilled to take the bracket bolts and the final fit to the bike. Once that's finished I will flat it with 800 wet and dry and apply two or three coats of black. Final cutting will be done once all the panels are fininshed.

I noticed there are some questions regarding 6 volt systems. Most of the electrics on this bike have been repaired using Beetle components because most motor factors stock them. VW's were all 6 volts until the mid 1970's and they were quite reliable.

Comment

Never done it before but I'm having a go at wheel building. I have a new hub from a BSA so swopt the wheel spindle for the Sunbeam's and stripped out the old wheel. Can't be that hard, can it, round, soon find out?

Put the rim, spokes and nipples into a bath of paint stripper. The rims on the Sunbeams were painted whatever colour the bike was so mine will be black. (I'm resisting the temptation top do them orange to p*ss of my mates who ride KTM's).

More as it happens. Had a day off from it to change the headraces on my DR Big. They were really bad, no wonder it wouldn't go round corners or in a straight line, not good.

Last edited by statik; 05/09/2011, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Last time I saw races like that, it was from a Trail bike that had been pressure washed to within an inch of it's life and stuck away for the winter. Not a good idea.

Comment

I know what your saying, they look like a really high mileage bike with no grease in the bearing but it's not the case. It's only done 41,000km and it was well packed with grease. I even checked the bearing housing in the frame to make sure it was round but it was fine. I can only assume at some time they were overtightened and loosened off later.

Comment

Another possibility to check is if it has been involved in a front end damage incident that could have damaged the races.

Comment

Had a close look at the frame when I bought it and another look when I changed the races, all lookg good.

No repairs or damage anywhere, The frame is white so easy to see.

I checked the yokes and the fork legs and everything is straight. Did the string test for alinement as well. Look like an honest bike. It was imported from Italy a few years back and mostly had a easy life.

By the way, after having a go at wheel building. My advise is take it to the shops.

Comment

Finally got the front wheel lined up and true. It wasn't much fun spoking that rim at all. Unless your an expert I wouldn't recomend having a go. In the end it took me about 29 hours work and I scratched the paint on the rim and cracked the front mudguard. So now I have got to repair that again which means welding it which will burn the filler and melt the lead.

Save starting a new thread I'll update here about the DR BIG (or Doctor Big as I now call it). Put in new clutch plates and springs today. I am supprised how clean the inside of the motor is. Even the inside of the clutch just needed wiping out with a clean rag.

Still got some more to do to all my bikes when I get more time.

There is some more news on my Greeves, I have offered to buy a small British bike from a neighbour. The make is unknown at theis time and the frame has rusted to pieces. The engine mounts are OK for sizing hole pitches and possitions. The engine is in a box and in quite good condition but burried under a lot of junk. Can't tell if it's a single or a twin but it's a Villiers 250, if the sticker on one of the side panels can be believed.

Comment

Went all the way to Belfast to pick up my latest bike, a 1984 Suzuki GS1100G. I was very happy with the price and condition. Not so Happy with Stena Ferrys or Ireland. The ship broke down and the food was ruined so not much to eat and it rained the entire time we was in Belfast so got bored waiting 10 hours for the return trip.

The view most of the time. We went into a bike shop to kill a bit of time and every bike on show had parts missing or damage of some sort. The local Honda dealers had more Yamahas and Suzukis than Hondas. So it was back to the van to watch videos.

Was it worth going, yes.

Nice engine and lots of history.

Bit of cosmetic work. None of the bolts have plating left on them but the rest isn't too bad.

Going to video some of the repairs so I'll put in some links.

Comment

Working...
                    X