Chew on this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chew on this

At the Banbury Run last week, my first, I was struck by the impression that the majority of entrants were in my age-group, i.e. 60 plus. There were younger people there, but grey power seemed to predominate. I know the VMCC is getting worried about this, hence its introduction of taster courses nationally for younger riders to have a go on vintage bikes to try to hook them. I was wondering if we are soon going to be in situation where rather a lot of old bikes start appearing on the market as numbers get called and owners depart for wherever you care to believe that old motorcyclists go. If that happens, are some of those who have paid ridiculous sums for old machinery (check out the price of a Brough or one of the big Vincents) going to lose out? It certainly seems to be happening in the railwayana market, another of my interests - a few years ago, a loco nameplate went for over £60,000, yet recently similar ones were only fetching £30k. In 20 years time, when all the steam buffs who remember and loved those items have chuffed off into the sunset, will they be so much scrap iron? Is the age-profile of the GRA safe, or is it, too, looking grey around the temples? A mate of mine who is in the trade (powder-coating) is quietly downsizing his British bike collection and turning to classic Japanese, which he maintains will be the future as younger riders start to age and become nostalgic for what they knew. I'm not sure how this will pan out, but would like to hear the views of others.

Frank

Frank, old motorcyclists go back to the pits, when they get tired, ( if you no what i mean ) ...dave.

Comment

I think you are spot on Frank the youngsters think our machines are too slow and have little appeal to most of them.There is another problem,politicians,most do not understand old machinery and I believe Europe would love to be rid of us.

Comment

Old men & old bikes

Frank I think what you say is true, even the old bike magazines are talking about it. Many of the old bike comics steared away from Japanese but are having to change their attitude, there are several letters this month in OBM on the subject. OK the expensive stuff Vincents, Broughs etc will always hold their price with collectors in much the same way as Bugattis, Ferrari's etc are still finding megg rich buyers in the car world. These a locked away in private museums never to be run. Personally the price of old bikes has got too inflated, when 'grey porrage', cycle motors and autocycles are being sold for up to £1000 who can blame people looking at (up to now) cheaper Jap bikes. Even here on the Greeves scene we have witnessed rediculous prices being paid on eBay for basket cases & rusty old nails which a few years ago would have been thrown away in a skip.
        Getting back to the age thing, its common throughout the whole vehicle preservation movement, cars, commercials, buses you name it, all are finding less & less interest in the older stuff as younger owners want something of their life time.

Comment

pholosophy

Question do we own the bikes or do they own us ? !!!.

Comment

Depends who you ask!

Ask me, and I'd say I own my bikes. Ask my wife, and you'd get the opposite answer. Only one way to find out............F I G H T!!!!!!!! (as Harry Hill would say.)

Comment

I like this topic. A friend of mine who recently turned 62 is the local Triumph guru, we are talking about 30 motorcycles in his collection dating from the late 40's to the early 70's. We had a conversation about the appeal of this era vintage bikes to the up and coming vintage enthusiast, the bottom line was English street bikes are still a very hot commodity here on the west coast as are vintage race bikes of all kinds. The problem is as the value increases, the risk of use and damage reduces the usefulness of the motorcycle and really limits the access of the younger enthusiast due to the cost of equipment, as I see it we are the last generation who will use pre 1970's motorcycles in actual local vintage competition, our children will do well selling our bikes to the new "old" collectors.

Best Wishes: Mike

Comment

Yes mike, i think you are right there, i think most people are only interested in the bikes of the era that they grew up with.
                Why would any body want to ride our vintage, when the younger generation has there own vintage.
                My own thought, is that the apple don`t fall far from the tree & you tend to stick with what you know, so i don`t think its worth worrying about what your grandson thinks of your bike or what the value might be in years to come , best off to enjoy them yourself now!. dave

Comment

fight !!!!!!

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                  Ask me, and I'd say I own my bikes. Ask my wife, and you'd get the opposite answer. Only one way to find out............F I G H T!!!!!!!! (as Harry Hill would say.)
                  couldnt resist !

dad says the bikes own us :-))
                  funny
                  Last edited by greeves246; 03/07/2011, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Recent eBay sales failing

Just checked up on a few Greeves that were recently up on eBay, most of them failed to either get a bid, and/or failed to go over reserve. I think a few people are going to get their fingers burnt, have bought bikes a few months ago at silly prices and were hoping to make a quick profit. With the down turn in the economy & less disposable income available I think we are going to see a tailing off of prices, maybe a reduction in values.

Comment

greeves

I think that to a true enthusiast that greeves collector price dosent matter as its somthing to do of a sat afternoon and a good hobby

Comment

reduction in values. Have to say that's fine with me bought my bikes to ride and enjoy not to make a profit.

Comment

Greeves

true couldnt agree more ! i am looking foward to geting one on the road !

Comment

Agree

Yes, I don't care about values either. All I want from my bikes is pleasure, and that comes in spades. Pleasure of ownership, keeping the bikes in top condition, pleasure in riding them and feeling comfortable and pleased with something I've done all my life. Pleasure in stewardship too, because these bikes are going to outlast me, and my aim is to pass them on in better condition than I found them. Sometimes pleasure in seeing reactions to them from others, as well. Last week a school nearby was doing a history day on the 1960s. (History, I ask you !!!! The 60s are more alive to me than the present) They wanted me to take one of my 60s bikes in to show the kids, and to talk about what life was like then. I took my Greeves, of course, and the reaction of the class to it was amazing. Cries of "Wow, that's cool!" and "Look at the colours, it's beautiful," gave me a lot of hope that perhaps we might just hook a few future enthusiasts.

Comment

greeves

what did you take in frank ? to show them

Comment

Working...
                              X