Anyone ID this old bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ID this old bike?

Most impressed with the response to pgc40's old bike photos. Rather than hijack his thread, here's a new one with another old bike.

It shows my father, Jack Sparrow (yes, really) aged 13 in 1929 on his brother's motorcycle. I haven't been able to figure out what it is, although I suppose the outside flywheel might be a clue. He was a Don R during the war; I guess motorcycles are in the blood!

Anyone got any ideas what it might be?
    Attached Files
    Colin Sparrow

Starting this thread prompted me to look at my motorcycle books properly "look it up in Tragatsch" as they say.

I reckon it could be an EW Douglas, probably the 350. What do you reckon?
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
      Starting this thread prompted me to look at my motorcycle books properly "look it up in Tragatsch" as they say.

I reckon it could be an EW Douglas, probably the 350. What do you reckon?
      Hi Colin,

Yes, definitely a Douglas and most likely a 350 EW, probably around 1927/28. At least that what I think!

Cheers,
      Andrew

Comment

Can you read the number on the photo Colin.

Comment

Yes, Colin, I agree, definitely a Douggie but that's the limit of my knowledge!

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
            Can you read the number on the photo Colin.
            No John, it's a small contact print and what you see on the scan is what's there.
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

What bike?

Colin,

I agree with the others, it's deffo a Douglas. The shape of the tank, the lining, the logo and the type and position of the flywheel give it away. I had one up to last year, and it looks like an EW to me. However, they did change the model designation yearly, so I could be wrong on that.

All the best,

Frank

Comment

That was good! Thanks guys for helpful responses. I think we're as close as we're going to get.

Clearly my dad's older brother was a man of taste!

Just for fun, here's another one I've found - with his big sister on the back - taken a year or so earlier, so late twenties.

Number's nice and clear this time John - and they lived in Essex.

Over to you guys - what is it? Beeza?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 23/06/2011, 03:36 PM.
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                  That was good! Thanks guys for helpful responses. I think we're as close as we're going to get.

Clearly my dad's older brother was a man of taste!

Just for fun, here's another one I've found - with his big sister on the back - taken a year or so earlier, so late twenties.

Number's nice and clear this time John - and they lived in Essex.

Over to you guys - what is it? Beeza?

Hi Colin,

Looks like a Matchless, around 1928, possibly a 250cc model R/S, but it could be a 350.

Cheers,
                  Andrew

Comment

Working...
                  X