Motorcycle identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle identification

Can anyone help me identify the motorcycle in the attached photos taken in the 1930's just before WWII. The guy in uniform is my grandfather and the second photo is of my uncle John as a young lad.

I would love to find this bike but do not know where to start. I don't even know if it is still in existance but any help or information would be gratefully received.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Paul
    Attached Files

Mystery bike

Not sure of the make, think it may be an AJS. I have checked on DVLA the reg No's AXD to AXY 476 (cant make out second letter) Only one bike (or indeed vehicle) in that series is live, & that is AXD 476 on a 1934 Vincent HRD which appears to still be taxed. This would I think be a Model W which does look something like your grandads bike. ie Girder forks & conventional rigid frame. If it is AXD 476 then thats your bike.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 20/06/2011, 09:00 AM. Reason: AJS added

Comment

Mystery bike

The bike in the second picture appears to be an OEC.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzer View Post
        The bike in the second picture appears to be an OEC.
        I'd lay money on the second bike being an OEC, although the forks would have been the duplex type from new.
        The first bike looks like a Raleigh, but I can't be certain.

Cheers,
        Andrew

Comment

Yes they are two different bikes, I assumed it was the same bike but different rider. The second bike is an OEC, the rear suspension being the distinguishing feature. but possibly not the racer as shown here http://thevintagent.blogspot.com/200...ks-racers.html
          The knee grips on the first bike have an inscription which looks like AJS.
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 20/06/2011, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Mystery bike (s) solved

John, Andy and Buzzer,

Thank you for solving this for me. You are all indeed correct. They are two different motorcycles (it took me a while to notice ). The first photograph with my Grandfather is a Raleigh 1928 model 15 and the second is an O.E.C. with a JAP engine.

The wealth of knowledge on this forum is simply amazing and the people as helpful as ever. Thank you.

Paul
            Attached Files

Comment

Do you have the registration number of the Raleigh?

Comment

Hi John,

Unfortunately this is the only photo of the Raleigh that I am aware of so I am thinking it starts with the letters QT (then 3 or 6?). The picture was taken at Burscough ordinance depot near Ormskirk in Lancashire (the two soldiers in the background were cleaning their weapons) sometime before April 1931.

Paul

Comment

It wont be Q as this letter was not used at that time & only later used as a suffix on imported vehicles of undeterminal age. Probably OT which would make it a Hampshire registration, the records of which from 1928 to1948 are held by the Kithead Trust, De Salis Drive, Hampton Lovett, Droitwich Spa WR9 0QE
                  Anyway the odds of either bike surviving is remote. Even if they do they may have been re registered so cannot be traced back.

Comment

Working...
                  X