Top mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top mount

Benn working on a Grumph for a while now and just wondered if other builders have fitted a bracket from the top of engine to the frame top tube Al la Bonneville etc.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Pete

I haven't with mine although it is but a lowly 3TA engine. Haven't had the chance to ride it yet but no apparent vibration when running. I think using Phil Hyde's engine plates the engine is probably much more rigidly supported than in the Triumph frame.

Comment

Hi no experience with Grumphs but lots with 500 Triumphs so I would say a head steady is a must Also have a 68ish T100 for sale if anyone interested. Peter.

Comment

Pete, in my experience of designing and building a few Triumph-Greeves over the years I have never seen the point of a head steady. That goes for both 350 and 500 engines. Yes, you can re-engineer the OE steel brackets to the closest convenient lug on the down beam casting. As Ian Soady has said, when using the parallel one piece type engine plates the engine unit is held more rigidly in the bike compared to the original Triumph frame. If you decided to fit a top head steady I would be interested in seeing a photo of the finished work. Good luck in your endeavours.

Phil
        Last edited by Phil Hyde; 24/01/2024, 01:44 PM. Reason: Point of clarity

Comment

Hi
          Thanks for the quick replies.
          Unfortunately I don't have your beautify engineered one piece plates Phil but the original builders separate front and back items, most of which is well made, so I think a top brace may help stiffen things up a bit. My Idea was to braze a lug to the top tube and fabricate a bracket to the rocker box bolts. I will certainly send pics .
          Thanks again!!
          Pete

Comment

Working...
          X