Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance

Following a successful meeting with Ian Cordes and Gary Bamford yesterday (what a lovely selection of macines in Gary's place) and delivery of my frame to Phil Hyde for engine plate manufacture, I am looking around for new problems. Have people found any difficulty with insuring a hybrid Tri-Greeves? I'm currently with RH who seem excellent especially as they don't charge for amendments which can mount up.

Peter James are good, I have been with them for around 20 years and premiums have not gone up much, currently 110 pounds for 2 bikes, fully comp with agreed values and breakdown/recovery. They are the recommended insurer for VMCC https://www.peterjamesinsurance.co.uk/ But if you are happy with RH then stick with them

Comment

Many thanks John. I was with PJ for probably 10 years or so but moved to RH mainly for the free amendments which for PJ were ?20 or so a time if I remember correctly. RH's premiums were also slighly lower and as far as I can see use the same underwriter. My policy this year for 3 bikes with total agreed value of ?11,500 was ?99.58.

I don't want to approach them yet re engine change in case they say no!!!!

Comment

Ian Might be a good idea to ask them for a quote for a Triumph engined Greeves, no need to reveal the bike, just say you are considering building one and see what the reaction is. You dont really want to leave it till the bike is built to find they wont insure it.

Comment

Good idea. They've been quite helpful so far.....

Comment

My TriGreeves (Grumph) is insured by Carole Nash (broker). I discussed it with them to make sure it was not an issue, which it wasn’t.
            I doubt whether they are the cheapest though. They did ask whether it has an MOT which when I insured it with them it did. one way of checking road worthiness to a certain degree - at least they did not ask for an engineers report

Click image for larger version

Name:	side.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	94581

Comment

Nice tidy bike Tony. Yes, I was wondering if a voluntary MoT would help.

Comment

I contacted my insurers, asking: "I am contemplating fitting a Triumph 350cc twin engine to the Greeves. This is not for any performance enhancement, just that I prefer the sound and feel of a 4-stroke rather than a 2 stroke. The conversion would be made using engineer-produced engine plates and I myself am an HNC qualified mechanical engineer. It’s worth pointing out that the Villiers 250 engine which would have originally been fitted has approximately the same power output as the Triumph.

Would you be able to cover the bike in this form?"

and had the reply a few hours later:

"In answer to your query: we’d be happy to cover the Greeves following the change of engine. While it’s on laid-up (accidental damage, fire and theft) cover, there would be no change in premium. If you do make the change to the motorcycle, please let us know so that we can update the vehicle details on the insurance policy."

So looks good although we'll see whether there will be a premium increase when I eventually put it on the road.

Comment

Good news for your project

Comment

Working...
                  X