Alternative front wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative front wheel?

I've been looking at the front brake on the Hawkstone. It's only a British Hub 6" affair, and past experience tells me that even at the best of times these brakes aren't brilliant. I fear it may struggle to cope with the mighty(!) Triumph 500.

I wonder if substituting a wheel from one of the Japanese trail bikes such as an XT500 / SP370 etc may be a wise move. Has anybody done this sort of thing? It should be reasonably easy to make a brake anchorage, and the trusty mini-lathe should cope with manufacturing a spindle or adaptors.

Why not fit the later full with British Hub it also has the advantage of being full floating so suspension does not rise up on brake application, linings are 1/8" wider. This type of hub was used on later Greeves, the one on my East Coaster is superb, and I am sure good enough for a Tri-Greeves.
    Attached Files

Comment

That sounds like an excellent plan John. Now I wonder where I could find one.....

Comment

Try Gary Bamford https://www.britishbikes1970.com/ put an advert in Leading Link and keep a look out on eBay Note these hubs were also fitted to Cotton and the AJS / Matchless 250cc & 350cc lightweights

Comment

You could use one of these in a full width British Hub Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210212-WA0000.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	93667Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210212-WA0001.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	93668

Comment

What's that backplate off? I'll start looking around for hubs. It does look as though the best combination of Triumph bits I have is going to be a 350 so less scary than a full 500cc......

Comment

Hi ,it's a brake plate of a full width British Hub that John Wakefield suggested but converted to twin leading shoe but on the inside the brake plate ,this conversion was do but a mate of mine he has done a few and they work very well. This one is for a MDS scrambler fitted with a BSA B40 engine ,

Comment

Hi Simon

nice to see the pictures on the forum. Were any sketches or drawings made? Asking for a friend……..

phil

Comment

Hi Phil , not sure I will ask Bob when I see him ,he did this mod to a Bsa Victor he raced said it great going into bends stopped on a sixpence ,not really allowed in pre65 thats why inside the brake plate

Comment

Originally posted by trialrider17 View Post
                    You could use one of these in a full width British Hub Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20210212-WA0000.jpg Views:	0 Size:	242.5 KB ID:	93667Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20210212-WA0001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	264.1 KB ID:	93668
                    Not good to use the original shoes from single leading shoe, the radiused ends do not fit well on the cam and are a weak point. Needs shoes with flat face both ends. or the ends welded and machined with flats. The RH shoe in the bottom pic already has a distorted end!
                    Last edited by John Wakefield; 27/02/2023, 10:18 PM.

Comment

A bit above my skill level I think....

Comment

Originally posted by iansoady View Post
                        A bit above my skill level I think....
                        Ian for a standard road going bike even with a 350 Triumph engine the standard alloy British Hub will be fine.The one on my bike (fitted with Villiers Services brake shoes) is more than adequate in fact it can be a bit too sharp at times, only needs a light touch on brake lever

Comment

Thanks John, mine are the tin type. I will keep a lookout for the alloy one - I did note that the ebay roadster you mentioned has one of these but I already have a garage full of bits!

Comment

Working...
                          X