grumph's main stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grumph's main stand

My friend and I have managed to put together the main stand.
    I used the drawings of the ISDT stand, all be it slightly longer
    until I know how much difference the alloy plates make.
    I have just got to figure out how it will fit now

Rear chain

After an injection of help from Phil sorting the alignment I have now split the chain and shortened it to fit. Rear brake mechanism to complete next.

Comment

Rear Chain

Tony,
      It could be my eyesight but is your spring link clip the wrong way round?

Druid

Comment

Spring link

The silver spring link is correct way round but looks like there is another one on the other side of the cranked link, if so its as you say druid the wrong way round, closed end should be in direction of travel. Bad practice anyway to have more than one spring link in a chain. All others should be rivited.
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 14/06/2013, 07:29 PM. Reason: extra wording

Comment

A bit critical, after all tony`s bike is a new build & is going to suffer from oversight & teething problems, but at least he is having a go.
          Last edited by dave higgins; 15/06/2013, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Ouch

The chain that is now fitted to approx tension will be removed and riveted so there is not an extra link - now that it is the correct length. The chain was bought originally with a length that I thought would be about right after measurement. After adjustment it was too long and therefore required the removal of some links and a half link to get to the correct tension. Both links are in the direction of travel and for testing purposes two links are not an issue . Actually there are advantages of having links in chains as the length can easily be easily adapted. The power is not Hayabusa and unlikely to cause real problems. I have never had a chain break on any bike let alone one that it is under 50bhp!

Comment

Chain

I wasn't criticising, merely pointing out what looked like an oversight.
              As regards spring links, I've never had a problem fitting 2 to a chain length. Modern chain is incredibly strong, the only chain I've ever snapped was when a stone got jammed between the chain and sprocket.

Druid

Comment

Oversight

There has been plenty of those so far, and probably a few more to come

Comment

next the spring

The bike is now on the main stand which is easy to use and stable.
                  I now need to work out where to attach the springs on the frame to get it to stay up

Comment

Tension...........

Tony

Good luck with the spring. Dont be afraid to start with a fairly weak spring of the right length. You can always go stronger once you have figured out the anchor points. Almost equal tension when the stand is in the up as well as the down position.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Comment

First attempt with a spring

I managed to find a good anchor point on the inside of the footrest bolt for the spring.
                      The anchor point on the stand needs to be moved so the spring does not bend round the frame.
                      It holds up with one spring and is okay to put the bike on the stand.
                      A proper stand spring will be needed as it probably will not have the strength to hold the stand up over bumpy ground.
                      The other side will need a slightly different arrangement, but will still attach to the inside of the footrest.
                      Perhaps roadster springs will fit if anyone can tell me the length of them?

Comment

Spring

Looks good Tony. You could always double up on your springs.

Comment

2 springs

Might be a bit too difficult to open out, but at least it won't bounce on rough ground

Comment

Working...
                          X