Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Grumph project

Hi all.... Bit of advise please...
    Firstly, having now got the front wheel built up and ready to go in, I couldnt find any wheel spindle bracket's/ locater's not sure what they're called but the bent bits of tin that fit either side on the spindle and sit round the leading link... However I noticed one of the wheel nut's was different to the other's in so much as having a round shoulder, on closer inspection of leading link I can see that there look's to be what can only be described as a round recess at the top of the spindle slot on the outer sides..... Am I right in thinking that these fork's (Banana by the way) used a different set up for locating front wheel and that there should be two nut's with shoulder's and one has been lost at some point and replaced with a standard one as there are three normal nut's and the special one that came with it... I can soon turn a shoulder onto one of the standard nut's or make a couple of locater's but was curious as to what was the original way of fixing.....

Secondly, Where the swinging arm fit's to the subframe is it just bolted to the frame either side with bolt's or should there be a spacing piece and spindle??? it's a 25DD frame I'm using and have already made a stiffening brace to tie the section's together in place of the battery/toolbox which feed's down to the engine plate mount's but could easily modify this to incorporate a spacer and sit it between the swinging arm pivot's....

Any advise greatly appreciated

P.S I've aquired a triumph T90 engine so it now look's like it's going to be a Grumph rather than a greebsa....

All the best Pete

Hi Pete, sounds like you've a bit of a mongrel there as I don't believe that Banana forks were ever fitted to the DD frame as standard. The nuts retaining the front wheel should have a spigot which locates into the "keyhole" slot for trapping the wheel spindle in place. This method replaces the need for the earlier Wheelkeepers.
    There should be one spindle and spacer to mount the Swinging arm. If you are intending to fit a Triumph engine then you'll need to consider what space is then available for the bracket from the central spacer to the Top frame!
    Hope this helps, don't know if you are a member but it would be well money well spent if not, embarking on such a project as indicated.

Comment

Banana forks

Quite correct there Adrian, banana forks were not fitted to the DD (Essex) or for that matter any other roadster model. Only the original LL rubber bushed ones ones.
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 21/11/2011, 01:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thank's for that guy's, pretty much as I thought, but alway's grateful for advise and help.....
        Plus I've learned some new terminology "wheelkeeper's" and "keyholes" I can see where keyholes comes from but would never have guessed the other....
        Oh yes Adrian, it's definately a mongrel, as I realised soon as I bought it, banana fork's in a 63 ???? who was he kidding, just alway's wanted a banana forked greeves, and rest assured it'l be best of breed when I've finished with it LoL

Thank's again and best regard's to all

Comment

Help with wiring please

Hi all and a happy new year to everyone....
          Wondered if anyone could help me out with my wiring??? Basically it's an older type of system consisting of a small square 4 terminaled block which I believe is a rectifier, a large blue cylindrical spring mounted (capacitor, is it ?) , what I would call a heat sink though at the back of my mind a small voice keep's whispering zener diode ?????? and an ignition coil with a condensor attached to the +ve side....
          The wires from the alternator have been reduced to 2 somewhere inside the clutch cover which I believe is to convert to 12V and as the bike was running before dismantling, presume this side of thing's is OK....
          What I need to know is what goes to where ???? I've rebuilt a couple of bikes with these system's in the past and was certain I had a wiring diagram, but for the life of me can't find it, otherwise would have taken more notice when I removed the original mess of wires and wiring.....
          I alway's thought this system was Boyer Branson, but a look round their web site drew a blank, likewise a search round the net for a wiring diagram, so any help will be gratefully appreciated.....
          Many thank's Pete

Comment

Wiring help

Hi Pete is it a single? This only has 2 wires leaving the flywheel generator. The twin has more. Your wiring has been modded if it has a capacitor and zener diode. I have the proper diagram for the 24 DB which I could email you but you would need to go back to a rectifier, usually very cheap to buy...John

Comment

Villiers 32A wiring diagram

Here is a link to the 32A wiring diagram http://www.isdm.co.uk/VI62/_vsj61.asp?ID=AGW32d
              If this is not the right one try this link, http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Vil...4&bih=648there are lots of different ones on there you can download.
              Last edited by John Wakefield; 20/01/2012, 09:21 AM. Reason: extra link added

Comment

Thank's for you prompt replies chap's, but sorry should have said it's for my grumph, tiger 90 engine and I only need the basic ignition side, just want a spark.....
                Pete

Comment

Triumph wiring diagram

Here is a link to a T100A wiring diagram, should be similar.

Comment

Many thank's for that John, It's got me a bit nearer...
                    I now have a part diagram drawn up whereby I can connect the alternator to the "Solid state full wave bridge rectifier" (To give it it's full name which I've found out by trawling the net).... This to the Zenner diode and the coil and capacitor to the contact breaker's, including the earth's.... What I' missing is where the capacitor which incidently is a lucas M3 or as one supplier, believe it or not, lists on his web site as "Blue thing on a spring" fit's in amongst this ???? I suspect it's wired between the zenner and the coil with an earth, but any more suggestions will be most welcome......
                    I can't believe there's no info on the net about this conversion as it was quite popular a few year's back, or maybe there is and I've just not found it yet....
                    Regard's to all Pete

Comment

12volt conversion

Originally posted by Pete Walton View Post
                      Many thank's for that John, It's got me a bit nearer...
                      I now have a part diagram drawn up whereby I can connect the alternator to the "Solid state full wave bridge rectifier" (To give it it's full name which I've found out by trawling the net).... This to the Zenner diode and the coil and capacitor to the contact breaker's, including the earth's.... What I' missing is where the capacitor which incidently is a lucas M3 or as one supplier, believe it or not, lists on his web site as "Blue thing on a spring" fit's in amongst this ???? I suspect it's wired between the zenner and the coil with an earth, but any more suggestions will be most welcome......
                      I can't believe there's no info on the net about this conversion as it was quite popular a few year's back, or maybe there is and I've just not found it yet....
                      Regard's to all Pete
                      This looks like the info you are looking for http://www.classicmotorcycles.org.uk...conversion.htm
                      Its for a C15 but I think the same mods apply to a Triumph. Everything is on the web somewhere!!!

Comment

That's the one John, Thank's so much for pointing me in the right direction.... I'd already checked this site out but somehow missed this particular diagram.....
                        All the best Pete

Comment

Working...
                        X