More info on the missing 7 LHK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More info on the missing 7 LHK

I have recently had some more info on the missing 7 LHK. We know that the bike was ridden by Jack Simpson in 1958 ISDT & later passed onto Ian Hillier who rode it in the 1960 ISDT and was then sometime later sold to last known owner Peter Lansdell, Alston, Devon who was reported to have sold it (or given it away) as a field bike, the last V5 being issued on 14 Feb 1984 was in Peter's name. Recently I have heard from a Thomas Akehurst who tells me that the bike was sold by Ian Hillier to his grandfather Gerald Hammerton of Godstone who was later involved in an accident with a car in early 1960's, the bike was badly damaged but re framed & sold to Comerfords. It obviously then at some point passed onto Peter Lansdell. Whether it was a new frame which was duly stamped with the original frame number, or another secondhand frame with another frame number is not clear, so if the latter it will make it virtually impossible to identify the bike should it surface at some point​
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 27/02/2024, 12:34 PM.

Jack Simpson didn't ride 7LHK in the 1958 ISDT. He rode 5LHK.

Comment

I bought 7LHK from Comerfords and the two names in the log book were Invacar the T C Hillier. Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture reload 040.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	98119 Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture reload 040.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	98120

Comment

Interesting John, so that begs the question as to why Gerald Hammerton's name was not in the log book, the Comerfords connection fits though.The other question did it still have its original frame number?
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 27/02/2024, 11:12 AM. Reason: Name corrected to Gerald Hammerton

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
          Jack Simpson didn't ride 7LHK in the 1958 ISDT. He rode 5LHK.
          Quite so Ian, my error looks like 'predicted text' copied over Jack Simpson from 5LHK in the Survivors Register listing. 7LHK was a spare bike which was ridden by Bert Greeves at the Garmish event to keep an eye on riders and maybe to make a swop should a bike break down, highly against the rules but it did happen in certain teams!

Comment

Sorry John can't remember if frame number checked, I did submit an article in the Leading Link a long time ago called "7 LHK AND ALL THAT"

Comment

Originally posted by John Pattinson View Post
              Sorry John can't remember if frame number checked, I did submit an article in the Leading Link a long time ago called "7 LHK AND ALL THAT"
              That was in LL issue 50 Feb 1993, there was also another article on 7LHK by Don Morley in issue 49 Dec 1992. Would be good to see a re print of these.

Comment

Working...
              X