No announcement yet.

1958 ISDT Garmisch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris, I intend to contact the Archivist at the FIM to see if they have start lists and results, because pre-printed programmes were notoriously inaccurate because of machine and rider changes. If you have programmes before 66, I'd like as much info from them as possible re Greeves and RE riders. Many Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by riflegreen View Post
      Few more 1958 ISDT , forgive if some are doubles , I've lost track

Chris
      206 = Pat Brittain, 4 LHK
      168 = Peter Baldwin, 3 LHK
      179 = Brian Stonebridge, 6 LHK
      185 = Bill Brooker, 2 LHK

Lovely photos!
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Brian - looks like you have the same interests as me - Greeves and RE!

I have just walked from the north coast of Wales to the south (which was a bit daft). However, along the way I also walked a few of the tracks used for the 1961 ISDT which was interesting. I also stayed a night at Cymystwyth which was a timecheck.

I am gradually plotting the route on 50,000:1 OS maps and putting in suitable bypasses where there is no right of way. I am building a TES-based ISDT type bike and also one based on a 350 Bullet. The idea is then to go for a ride and compare the two.

Better get back out in the shed................!!

Rob

Comment

Rob, I know what you mean about Cwmystwyth.....I recently put the story up on the Midland Bullet's forum about going through there on the RAC Rally at dead of night with my pal reading map beside me. He looked up as we got to the ruins and was truly freaked out by what he saw in the car's lights! I had been through several time in the light while Route Marking the Welsh 2 Day Trial so I knew it reasonably well.

Comment

Cwmystwyth

Cwmystwyth, now that would sort out the men from the boys, the steep climb up from the old mining village followed by bottomless bogs before the hard track along the Claerwen reservior were one of the toughest parts of the Welsh 2 Day course. Presumably also used in the 61 ISDT

Comment

I think I crawled through most of those bogs! At one stage, it took us 30 mins to go 300 yards and right at the end of the day! We then ended up on the track through Ty'Ncornel, a '61 route.

I'm working on the principle that if I get enough people talking, I'll gradually get enough clues to work out the route.

We stayed in a B & B at Cwmystwyth in the old post Office, long since closed but no doubt functioning in 1961. The route went past the front door and then turned right (south) and down over a Bailey bridge and into the wilds.

Come on JW, keep the stories coming!

Comment

Cwmystwyth

So the bogs have not dryed out then. Yep was a real time killer this stage if you got it wrong, after the tough climb you were straight into the bogs. Best to get off & run alongside bike on the worst bits, at least the marshalls tried to guide you through. Once you cleared the bogs you hopefully could make up time on the road around the Claerwen reservoir before the next check. Thing about this road was it zig zaged in & out round the lake, & just when you could see the time check in the distance, you looked at your watch & thought you had enough time in hand, the road went round to the left & it was another couple of miles or so to the actual check point.
                Good fun in 1972-8 when I did the Welsh 2 day, but 40 years on ??????

Comment

Working...
                X