Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer bracket/mount identification

Hello all,

Can anyone help identify what type of bracket/mount was used to attach the speedometer to the handle bar risers of the 1964 (MX1) and 1965 (MX2) ISDT Challenger bikes? I have found the correct speedometer clock (thanks Brian for the info) but not the cup that it sits in and have n't seen anything quite like it elsewhere (see photo attached). Is it perhaps Triumph, DOT, Royal Enfield or BSA? or if made by Greeves specifically for the ISDT Challengers then I wondered if any factory drawings of it exist?

Many thanks,

Paul
    Attached Files

Mystery solved

I was puzzled how the original smiths speedometer was mounted on my MX2 1965 ISDT challenger and found this photo in the GRA archive (thank you Don Heath).

Mine had been hacked off so before I set about making a new bracket I thought I would ask if anyone had the top yoke with the bent speedo mount bracket?

BTW I am still looking for a genuine 80 mph smiths speedometer type S.608 calibrated to 1600, if anyone knows of one for sale?

Cheers, Paul
    Attached Files

Comment

Smiths speedo

There are cheap replica ones available from various sources on eBay

Dont think they are actually chronometric movement (just the normal magnetic I think) but they look correct & at reasonable price.
      Just to add you would need the speedo cable as well as these have different fittings to Smiths. This seller http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMITH-REPL...item3cb57ce373 is advertising the speedo, cable & drive for just over £40 inc.p&p. About 1/4 of the price for genuine items, if you can find them new old stock.
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 15/08/2012, 08:39 AM. Reason: Note added about cable/drive etc

Comment

Working...
      X