4 speed box, end float

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 speed box, end float

Hi Guys, I am rebuilding my 4 speed "kidney " shaped gearbox on my 1963 TE. On the dry build there seems to be about 1.5 to 2mm end float on the shaft that would have the clutch basket mounted on it. The only way I can see of eliminating it would be to put a spacer under the final drive pinion but the book shows nothing but a very thin,large diameter shim, between pinion and bearing, mine being copper. Is that right and any suggestions? Is "end float" normal? ...all the "pressure washers" are fitted.
    Cheers.

There are two ways of sorting this
    fist way I do is fit a shim on end of mainshaft between shaft and end cover I do shims in .1 or .2 mm
    2nd way is to increase the amount of shims between high gear and bearing this is more messy keep getting gear out of the bearing also the shims are only one thickness
    i hope this helps
    Gary

Revive the legacy of Greeves motorcycles with British Bikes 1970. From high-quality spares (with advice) to expert repairs and show-winning restorations, Gary Bamford's passion ensures each bike is resurrected to perfection.

Comment

Hi Gary, yes that is very helpful, if shimmimg from one end or the other, does that alter the selectors positioning of the gears to one another?
      I have more than 1mm movement is that something you have heard of before?
      Do you sell these shims or do you know where I might get some from?
      Thanks for your input.

Comment

Maybe give me a call but I am away till 28th
        yes I have the shims
        also I would check your balls in the high gear as I had a box in recently and it had under size balls fitted they should be 3/16

Comment

Hi Gary, thanks for your help, I will wait until after the 28th and perhaps give you a call. Thanks again... Are you in business, should I know your number?

Comment

Is Gary in business? Check post number 2 in this thread!

Comment

Are there any gaskets fitted to the kidney shaped gearbox?

Comment

No
                gaskets
                just sealer

Comment

Working...
                X