Sprocket PCD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprocket PCD

Hi Guys, rebuilding a Greeves TE, I have a 25 tooth final drive gear in the gearbox and a 15 tooth final drive sprocket could anybody suggest what size rear sprocket I should have for "green laneing" and what the PCD is on the rear hub bolts? Thanks for any help.

A 25T high gear pinion is off a roadster, or scrambler, so likelihood is you have a roadster gearbox fitted. The standard trials HG pinion is 27T, so you are already higher geared than a trials model. The standard rear wheel sprocket on the TE was 54T, so maybe start there? Guesswork really, and depends on what your green lanes are like, gentle farm tracks, or more akin to trials sections....?

PS You may struggle to find 50T or 52T rw sprockets, so then you are in roadster territory, 48T or 46T, which will be too high.
    Last edited by IanCordes; 04/04/2024, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Hi Ian, thanks thank you for your help, I think I will try the 54T it sounds as though it may be a good compromise. Cheers

Comment

You are welcome. Bear in mind that for trials these days, a 13T gearbox sprocket is often fitted to the trials gearbox, lowering the overall gearing again. That is equivalent to 5 or 6 teeth more on the rear wheel sprocket, so you shouldn't be far off. Do let us know how you get on.
        Last edited by IanCordes; 05/04/2024, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Going back to the PCD for the rear hub, when you buy the 54T sprocket, that can be used as a template, can't it? I just checked Britishbikes1970 website but it seems they don't have any. Villiers Services are listing them. You need the one for the BHC tin hub, 1 7/8" dia centre hole, 54T, for 928 chain (1/2" x 5/16"). Check your gearbox sprocket, as they did also use 1/2" x 3/16". VS list steel and alloy sprockets, of which the steel are dearer, and unplated.

Comment

Hi Ian, thanks for your help, I will get the 54T sprocket and get the PCD from that. Again, thanks for your help

Comment

If it helps, you are more than welcome.

Comment

Working...
              X