59 Scottish or is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 Scottish or is it?

I have recently acquired a Scottish fitted with a 9E engine. The frame number is 59/8606 which when I looked on the database doesn’t seem to fit. Late 58, early 59? Replacement frame? The stamping looks original and doesn’t appear to have been tampered with. Any help in identifying/dating the bike would be much appreciated.

Pictures would help Deepdale but you'd probably need to be upgraded to GRA Member to post them on here.

Comment

I have 59/8608 on survivors list as follows;
      59/8608 1959 UK Ambleside Michael Slee fake number, trials bike on Facebook Market place 3/22 ?2800 also stamped 59/2746 on RH side of beam
      59/2746 is a real number but refers to a 25DB which looks to be a different bike (see 4th pic) ​it was on ebay 3/20 in Knighton by' laser25uk', converted to off road spec. rusty barn find. So sadly looks like you have bought a 'bum steer'
      Attached Files
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 25/03/2024, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Answering your original question, looks to be more a 59 Scottish than anything else, Deepdale. Just enjoy it!

Comment

Originally posted by johnrunnacles View Post
          Answering your original question, looks to be more a 59 Scottish than anything else, Deepdale. Just enjoy it!
          The problem will be getting it road registered, as far as I can see its not got a V5c so dont know how the club would be able to authenticate it for DVLA registration.

Comment

Thank you johnrunnacles and John Whittaker. The third picture is my bike and the 592746 number is no longer there. It has no V5C. I bought it to do a bit of light off reading/trials along with a friend on his farm and didn’t, perhaps fortunately, pay a great deal for it. I will as you say johnrunnacles “just enjoy it”. Thank you both, once again, for your help.

Comment

That was what I was anticipating when I made my comment, Deepdale. After all, that was what it was made for, and it does look like it may be well up to further off-roading. Well done getting it at a good price! Come back if you need further help or encouragement..

Comment

If it did start out as a roadster, the toolbox, which gives strength under the seat, has been removed. I can't see from the photo, so do make sure the seat supporting strut has been substituted.

Comment

Working...
                X