20t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20t

I have just started on my 20T (1955) project, just starting a dry build to see what is missing. Few parts to sort out - front mudguard stays + bracket, seat pan, chain guard, exhaust and silencer. Armours will sort the exhaust and silencer and Dave Bradley has a seat pan to copy. Drawings are available from the drawings officer for the other parts. New bushes have been fitted to the swinging arm to help the dry build - it will be wet painted so no issue of melting bushes with a powder coating process.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20T.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	97410

Nice one Tony! This'll be a beauty when it's done.

Those lovely cast engine plates look in really good condition, and they are there (for once!!) Are there any cracks to deal with or alignment issues? (hopefully not!)

Great pic, and it really shows the early tapered forks perfectly from that angle as well.

Congratulations mate, and hope the build goes well.

Brian.

Comment

Alloy plates look good- so much nicer than the Scottish ones. One could almost they there is an elegance to the 20T compared to the Scottish which looks more utilitarian- if not agricultural in comparison ​​​​​- in my opinion ​​​​​​.

Comment

I know exactly where you are coming from Ian, and when you take the frame as a whole, it really has to be one of the earliest examples of a true, production 'composite' frame. I was stunned the first time I ever saw some on one of Dave Bradley's bikes, many moons ago. I'd never seen them before and it confirmed for me just how special Greeves are.

Those cast engine plates really do look like the 'missing piece' of the picture when you consider the beam design as well, and the whole thing is indeed very elegant, in my opinion too.

The later designs must have saved money too, I'd guess, and probably far easier to manufacture. Having to outsource engines was obviously a factor too, and what a brilliant way to ensure maximum adaptability (just change the engine plates!) whilst being an integral part of the design. It's always struck me as being very clever of OBG and helped his products stand out as well.

A very interesting part of Greeves development history from when it all began.

Brian.

Comment

Here's some additional pics......

It's interesting to note from the sales brochure that the frame was used across the range for that year, and the drawings from a contemporary issue of 'Motor Cyclist'.

Does anyone know which issue it was, or even better, have a copy to scan please? I'd be very interested in seeing it.

Note 'hand adjusters' on early production frame (pic 2) and compare them with the one on Tony's forks to see the later 'full cup' design mentioned in the pic.

Pics 1 and 3 are snippets from the 'catalogues' thread (thanks Simon! ) and the 2nd pic is from Andrew King's very informative article on the early Anzani engined Greeves models in 'LL'38. More on this thread for anyone interested; British Anzani Engined Greeves Information - Post 1 of 5.

Brian.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 12/01/2024, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Bit more progress - footrest and rear brake lever next

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2208.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	524.7 KB
ID:	97513

Comment

Working...
            X