59 Scottish 200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 Scottish 200

As you are no doubt aware I’m new to Greeves but not to bikes I’ve been riding since I was a kid, grown up with bikes with my dad riding bonnevilles T120 and 140’s through to him having zzr 1100’s.
    my older brother still has my dads last T140 and I’ve owned over 60 bikes and have ridden since I was young 7 or 8 years old.
    i have always had a thing about Greeves primarily 500 triumph engined scramblers
    i used to also green lane a lot on a drz400e incl regularly doing the strada florida.
    ive now been persuaded to start pre 65 trials hence the Greeves. My mates belong to the tavernerers and that’s who I’ll ride with.
    i also have a thing about strokers and still own a very special Yamaha rd350lc. I’m 54 years old and live south Leicestershire.
    so onto the bike. I’d looked at several Greeves nothing hit the spot then I drove with a trailer 5 hours away to view what I bought. I’d been delayed on the journey and was just at the point I wanted a bloody bike. Therefore my normal reticence on just diving straight in went out of the window.
    this is what I bought pretty much without looking properly.

once I returned home I realised I’d made a mistake in my haste. 20 inch front wheel with a 6 inch hub lots of the nuts and bolts are metric and I’d not ridden it
    Attached Files

So I set about working on it. First thing was buying a correct wheel so I eventually found a 21inch front wheel. Unfortunately for me I didn’t realise the spindle was bent. So I fitted it with new bolts spacers etc into a front end that still had metric bolts and it didn’t fit
    here you can see the problem
    Attached Files

Comment

So I spoke to Gary who I have to say has been brilliant bought new spindle etc and another wheel this time a 21in with the cooling hub. Having swapped everything over fitted all new wheel fittings new shoes etc this is the result
      I have to say the brake is useless this may be down to new shoes.
      Attached Files

Comment

I’ve also been v happy with villiers spares, I’ve fitted other new items including kick start lever which shattered when starting it.
        new ball end levers, I’ve a domino slow action throttle and venhill
        cable to fit.
        I also have dealt with an appalling company who supposedly supply new parts and bikes.
        I ordered engine bars that need massive modifications a new side stand which isn’t new nor is it cheap (my fault for not going to Gary) I’ve cancelled an order for parts that still haven’t arrived after over 6 week wait for stock items? Etc oh and even though I have requested a refund some 10 weeks later I’ve still not got anything. So it looks like small claims court for me. Had to do this a couple of times with unscrupulous vendors.
        plans are ultimately to go electronic ignition, Yamaha clutch (which model is it?) upgrade the worn carb, fit primary chain tensioner and final drive tensioner. I’ve a friend who makes exhausts for 2 strokes so I’ll get him to fabricate a low/mid range pipe and a few other bits and bobs.
        chassis wise I’ve fitted new rear shocks etc so it’s a definite work in progress I’ve my first trial week Sunday

Comment

Well done, Tim. Great progress.

Comment

Well done. The trial will be a good shake-down to determine what needs doing next.

Comment

Brilliant! Great job Tim and the bike's looking loads better already, well done indeed.

So pleased that Gary was able to help you out, and you are right, he's the man to go to, easily one of the nicest, most knowledgeable and passionate Greeves men I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I have the highest regard for Gary.

Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to start this thread and upload all your pics to share with us, it's really appreciated. Please keep us posted on your progress and let us know how your first trial on it goes....enjoy!!
              Last edited by Brian Thompson; 06/01/2024, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Well done Tim
                You have moved forward and got there
                Gary

Comment

Looking great Tim. I wonder who the appalling company might be?

Comment

Fairly sure the clutch is from a Yamaha WR125 road bike

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I spent some time setting the front brake up yesterday and put a few miles on the bike. I have a functional (not great) front brake.
                      as I coasted to a stop the bike cut out. I tried getting it started again. Unfortunately I was due to attend my first trial today sadly the bike wouldn’t start. I met up with my mate who was competing and spoke to a Greeves rider about his Scottish.
                      I returned home and started by cleaning the carb . Then got it running. So I suspect crap in the carb. I was all set to have a quick potter to test the brake when there was a god almighty bang. The bike stopped and I tried kicking it over zero compression when I looked down. The plug had been shot out of the head. So it now needs a helicoil. Yet another little problem of owning a “classic Brit bike”. Onwards and upwards
                      Attached Files

Comment

I always say "Onwards and ............ onwards", Tim. With experience, I find it a tad optimistic to expect upwards progress!

Comment

I’m a glass half full kind of man
                          one thing I noticed was the guy competing on his Greeves had done this to the clutch giving more leverage anyone have any experience of this?
                          Attached Files

Comment

A common mod, Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Veg View Post
                              Thanks for the comments. I spent some time setting the front brake up yesterday and put a few miles on the bike. I have a functional (not great) front brake.
                              as I coasted to a stop the bike cut out. I tried getting it started again. Unfortunately I was due to attend my first trial today sadly the bike wouldn’t start. I met up with my mate who was competing and spoke to a Greeves rider about his Scottish.
                              I returned home and started by cleaning the carb . Then got it running. So I suspect crap in the carb. I was all set to have a quick potter to test the brake when there was a god almighty bang. The bike stopped and I tried kicking it over zero compression when I looked down. The plug had been shot out of the head. So it now needs a helicoil. Yet another little problem of owning a “classic Brit bike”. Onwards and upwards
                              Was the plug tightened properly before this happened, the threads still look to be intact in the pic, so maybe just needs plug re fitting !

Comment

Working...
                              X