Scottish Registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Registration

I have recently purchased a 1960 scottish [frame forks and swing arm only] I now wish to get registration for it as i intend to put it on the road.DVLA have told me they have no record of this frame number therefore probably never registered,They have asked me for Dating evidence,proof of type ie scottish etc,and some sort of evidence as to say that purchase tax was paid when the machine was first sold,If not I my have to pay VAT on it now.Can you help with any of the above or do I need to join the GRA first.Reguards Derek.
    Frame number 60/1733,24tcs.

Derek
    Most of what you are asking is covered in my 'sticky' Registering bikes with the DVLA in the Road bike section.
    However in your case you will need to build the bike up before you can get it registered, the GRA or any other DVLA registered authenticator will not authenticate an incomplete bike. As to purchase tax/ VAT can't understand why they need this unless the frame was imported. This could be hard to proove especially if you bought it in an autojumble.
    Best to join the GRA and seek further advice from 'Druid' the club DVLA authenicator

Comment

scottish registration

Thanks John I will look up sticky. When the bike is up and running,and mot'ed I will proceed with registering it.I did'nt want to spend loads of money and then find that the bike had been stolen or written off 40 years ago.DVLA have no details on there computer so that has given me the green light.I think the inland revenue bit is to make sure purchase tax was paid when the bike was new,If not I may be lieable for vat now.Cheers Derek.

Comment

Chaps,

Don't forget the GRA has the Factory Despatch Register which may or may not list the bike. This would give the date of sale and as far as I know, the business of selling bikes in kit form (to avoid PT) did not really take off until maybe as late as the Griffons. This would mean the bike was sold ready to go and therefore PT would have been paid. Mike Jackson would know, he sold enough of them!

Seems to me, the DVLA is coming up with more and more of these little wheezes which are aimed at far more modern vehicles. How do you get the equivalent of a VAT receipt for something sold 50 years ago and the company that sold it disappearing 35 years ago?

Rob

Comment

greeves registration

Thanks Rob,all you say is true,When the bike is nearing completion I will then start to chase up the people in the 'know',and the DVLA man will have something to look at. Thanks again,Derek.

Comment

Working...
          X