Shock absorbers for banana forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock absorbers for banana forks

The shock absorbers on my banana forks are somewhat too soft, the completely bottom out when braking hard - the units are very old. I’m looking to replace them - can anyone point me at a supplier of suitable replacement units

thanks

Russell Allen

NJB Shocks and/or Hagon come well recommended, I understand Russell.

Comment

I’ll give NJB a call they are not far from me

thanks for the info

Russell

Comment

The factory spec was 13.9" centre to centre (extended), springs 9.4" long, 54lb spring rate; if that helps?

Here is a quote from Don Morley, who did extensive research on them some while back:- I cannot stress enough that it is quite VITAL to get the front DAMPING rate and spring poundage dead right. I.E. They really do need to be VERY VERY soft on both counts or else your Banana's will hardly work and will also feel even more than wooden! I actually find it best to have almost NO damping at all and only about 55lb springs.

Comment

In a strange turn of events - I called Norman Blakemore, describing the bike to him and what I wanted - it turns out that it’s his old trials bike (complete with Siba dynastart) - new shocks have been ordered. I’m sure Norman will know what will be suitable for his old bike.

Russell

Comment

Russell. I assume this is the bike BHJ346F was MRE20F one of a batch of police bikes supplied to Staffordshire police hence the dynastart. It would originally had the rubber bushed leading link forks. Second pic shows it 5th from right when supplied to Staffs Police with Derry Preston Cobb in attendance.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 02/08/2023, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Russell. Can you let us know the spec of the shocks, when they arrive? Thanks.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	greeves.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	436.6 KB
ID:	95347

It is indeed BHJ346F - I believe Norman Blakemore fitted it with the Banana forks, it was sold about 5 years ago to a chap near me, I acquired it about 18 months ago

Its been completely rebuilt in my ownership - crank, rebore and piston, powder coated frame and forks, repainted tank, I made a new loom, solid state regulator for the SIBA

Its entered in the Arbuthnot trial in September

Russell

Last edited by russell_allen; 03/08/2023, 03:04 PM.

Comment

The previous owner was Dick Hobart of Chelmsford he bought it in March 2019. Quite a good survival rate as 10 out of the original 15 are known to survive with another MRE30F still on DVLA unlicenced since 1/10/80 last V5C (logbook) issued 2 June 1980 so maybe in someones shed.​

Comment

You are correct - Dick Hobart is who I bought it from - he only lives a mile away from me. It wasn’t running when I collected it - hence the very reasonable price - a fiddle with the electrics and a clean of the points and it was running 10 minutes after I got it home. The crank was rumbling a bit so i didn’t ride it too much before I had it rebuilt. Ended up doing a full restoration- you know how it goes, “while it’s apart i might as well do x” that ended up being almost all of it

Russell

Comment

Norman Blakemore supplied my shocks for my Banana forks and they were nice and soft and enabled the full movement when ridden in trials. Definitely recommended.

Comment

Interestingly, Greeves specified the same banana fork shock specification for trials and scrambles, unlike rears.
                        Last edited by IanCordes; 04/08/2023, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Collected my new shocks from Norman Blakemore of NJB Shocks on Tuesday -

Fitted them yesterday - the fronts are beautifully damped, similar springing to what was on there before, the better damping stops them bottoming out. The rears are 20mm longer and give a much nicer ride.

Had a good chat with Norman - top chap and really helpful. He was pleased his old bike was still being used in anger

Click image for larger version

Name:	NJB.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	482.1 KB
ID:	95521

Russell

Comment

Working...
                          X