Shhhhhhh a bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shhhhhhh a bit

Hi, anybody know how I might quieten my exhaust down a bit. It’s fun loud but not very fair on my neighbours. Click image for larger version

Name:	616CF786-3794-487F-A91B-04D0E8E7E2E2.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	450.8 KB
ID:	94773

Fit one of Tony's Griffon Enduro silencers to tailpipe of the existing silencer https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/fo...nduro-silencer

Comment

I added a Univeral silencer to mine. My have originally came from Sammy Miller.
      Not same as your exhaust.

whitehillbilly
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks chaps but that’s not going to work for me unless I want to take out everyone I pass by. My exhaust points outward.

(picture from above)

Click image for larger version

Name:	7531B12B-820C-458C-95CE-394B9455D6A4.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	510.7 KB
ID:	94782

Any other ideas?

Comment

Has it got the Villiers baffle inside silencer, it was a shortened one from road bike. I had a 24TE with that exhaust and it was not that noisy.

Comment

There is no off the shelf fix for this, so some custom fabrication is required. Your tailpipe is detachable, so that one needs to come off, a new pipe made to wrap around the rear shock, to which a silencer such as Tony's can then be fitted.

Comment

The tailpipe is welded on. I’m going to see if I can get the baffle out, maybe that will give me more idea what to do. A digital inspection (my finger) feels really rough and hard in there, almost like concrete. I somehow doubt she’ll give up her baffle without a fight. We’ll see.

Comment

Hmmm, not sure what I was expecting to find but it wasn’t this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1D43D3FD-4C6B-497F-B7F7-01A1729A4971.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	94791

What do you think?

Comment

The tailpipe shouldn't be welded on. It should be retained with a bolt at the end of the silencer, which also retains one of these baffles, as well as acting as a fixing bolt, attaching to a lug on the subframe. The baffle tube is obviously in the silencer body, although I assume that what you have pulled out was stuffed up the tailpipe? Click image for larger version

Name:	Villiers baffle.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	94793Click image for larger version

Name:	24TE with American spec air filter (2).jpg
Views:	219
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	94794

Comment

Lovely looking bike Ian. I’m sorry, I’m not great with the terminologies. I was indeed talking about the ‘thing’ that’s stuffed up the tail pipe. I’m guessing ‘butt plug’ isn’t the right term either.

I’m pretty sure my tailpipe is welded on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ABECFF0F-AC54-4C7B-994D-2D4C1D819C7D.jpg Views:	0 Size:	470.4 KB ID:	94797

Comment

That's not my bike. It is an archive pic I pulled out to illustrate. Ignore the air filter; non standard for this model. My TE is still in the process of restoration. It would appear a PO welded your tailpipe in. You can see that from the silver paint covering the weld, whilst the original through bolt is being used to attach the silencer to the subframe. How did he think one would remove the baffle to decarbonise it? The answer is probably that there is no baffle in there, and he stuffed his butt plug (you said it!) up the pipe in the hope it would be adequate. That gives you a problem really. Those exhausts are quite rare, in that no-one makes replacements at present. You now have to make the decision as to whether you carefully cut the pipe off where it joins the silencer, without touching the silencer. Once done, hopefully the remaining pipe still in the silencer will come out with gentle persuasion. If you do so, you can source a baffle and fit it. You will probably have to cut down a roadster one. Your call.....

Comment

Many thanks Ian. That all sounds a bit competence-dependent for my skill level. Think I’m going to have to either find someone who can do it for me or put up with the racket.

Cheers for your help,

Jon

Comment

Yes, you would need someone competent with exhaust pipe bending if you go down the route of replacing the tailpipe in order to attach an additional silencer. However, by cutting off the welded tailpipe, adding a baffle into the existing silencer; assuming there is not one already, which I doubt; you could then bolt back on the now slightly shortened tailpipe, which would more or less reinstate it to how it was originally designed.

Out of interest, Greeves quite quickly amended the tailpipe, shortening it and curving it around the subframe, as in the attached brochure:- Click image for larger version

Name:	Greeves TE TES Brochure 1..jpg
Views:	200
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	94804

Comment

(No need to answer this - I tried it and it moves)

That is quite interesting, although I can't see it making it onto Sandi Toksvig's show

Assuming the exhaust would have to come off before I take an angle grinder to it, is the rose nut like the ones on old BMW airheads in that, if they don't come off easily, it's best to just cut them off and buy a new one? I think mine might fall apart before I cut it off anyway, it's pretty corroded. I'm not liking the look of the thread either...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rose nut.jpg Views:	0 Size:	470.4 KB ID:	94807

Jon
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Jon K; 26/06/2023, 04:42 PM.

Comment

They usually will shift, with a bit of persuasion! Bear in mind that front pipe is separate from the remainder of the exhaust system, joining it with a pipe clamp at the bottom of the loop, in front of the frame beam; allowing you to remove the exhaust finned nut; or has he welded that, too?

Comment

Working...
                              X